4000 Fry by New Years Eve - Just Maybe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. As a project we started on November 1st in the fish room, we wanted to see just how many fry we could net and count through New Year's Eve. We caught 1785 in Nov. and are at 2140 so far for December. I hope to break the 4000 mark by Friday night. Since we are averaging 80 per day in Dec., I think I have a good shot. I wasn't feeling so hot yesterday so I didn't net any. I only need one good day in the next 2 to make my goal - so keep your fingers crossed for me. Also the Corys are starting to go nuts. It's that time of year. Have had 3 spawnings this week - albino C. aeneus, C. paleatus and the best of all - C. potaroensis. As much as I love guppies, Cory fry really get my heart-rate going. They are amazing. - Frank/Guppyman®

4000 Fry

tetrin said:
should be some kinda record!!
Hi. We're almost there. have netted about 50 so far this morning. many fry still need to be caught. Should hit that 4,000 mark by noon! It's certainly a record for us. - Frank/Guppyman®

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Hi, Well - we made it. We stand at 4,025 with an easy 100 or so still uncaught and 2 more days. Yes, we do sell them but the goal is to produce more so we can lower our prices. This should really help, although now we have to successfully raise them to young adults to be saleable. - Frank/Guppyman®

Fry

grimlock3000 said:
We do all of your fry end up anyway? Do you ship them? :)
Hi. Well, we currently have only been selling to retail stores. Our new web site goes on-line on January 3rd for shipping in the U.S. Check it out next Monday at guppyman.com. Have a great New Year. - Frank/Guppyman®

Nice, I will check the new website for sure once it goes online. Around here in Maine, there is no place to get nice Guppies. It is either a $3 mixed Guppy or you never see it. No place for good Cories either.

Anything I would have shipped to me would come from the West Coast, and you are only 500 miles away from me so I have a better chance of getting healthy fish :)

My Guppies

grimlock3000 said:
Nice, I will check the new website for sure once it goes online. Around here in Maine, there is no place to get nice Guppies. It is either a $3 mixed Guppy or you never see it. No place for good Cories either.

Anything I would have shipped to me would come from the West Coast, and you are only 500 miles away from me so I have a better chance of getting healthy fish :)
That is why I started my business. The only choices you have now are $3.49 a pair lfs guppies or $50 - $75 a trio for IFGA guppies. Most of our strains are $10-15 per pair. They are all bred from IFGA show winning stock and we guarantee their health. Our fish are checked regularly by the head of the Aquaculture Technology Program at our local college and we have been awarded an Aquaculture Farmer's license by the State of NJ's Dept. of Agriculture. We are one of only two business entities in the state with a license to farm "ornamental" tropical fish - and not food fish such as talapia. I am proud of my fish, the way I run my business and the smiles that I put on people's faces at the prices we charge. I'm sure you will be pleased. Additionally, I will be running a huge "Special Offer" for members of AA. Everyone here has always been very kind and supportive of me and my efforts. I haven't forgotten that. - Frank/Guppyman®

WOW!

If you sold 4000 fry for 1 dollar a fry that is 4k!

Excellent job with the fry- you must have a TON of tanks to keep that many in them.

Fish Room

PK Tester said:
Guppyman, is there any way we could see a picture of your fish room?
Hi. Well, I'm happy to show you a pic of the fish room in the middle of construction and set-up. The room is now finished, including a 70 tank centralized system - but now there is no room to take a picture of more than one rack at a time. - Frank/Guppyman®

Awesome!

What type of filtration and heating do you use?

Is this in the basement of your house?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Answers

PK Tester said:
What type of filtration and heating do you use?
The room is heated by a gas boiler with baseboards on all the walls. I use 2 large Lee's box filters in each 10 G tank, and 70 tanks are on a centralized system that uses a modified swimming pool filter and a little DYI extra filtration for large particulate matter.
Is this in the basement of your house?
No. It's a room built on the side of my house at the farm.
Sorry for all the questions!!
Happy to answer them. More pics available upon request and you should check "My Gallery" on this site. - Frank/Guppyman®

Back
Top Bottom