60 litre tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mundle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a 60 litre tank with plants Filter ,heater, light,pebbles
And I want either:

A breeding tank 2 or 3 fish in it and babies PS this is my only tank
Pps I don't want guppies

Or just a community tank with " bigger " fish

Breeding tank- planted shrimp tank, mollys or platys...

Community- 1 honey, pearl, three spot, snakeskin or paradise gourami, betta, apisto, ram, Badis
2 oto
3 cory
5 glass cats
African dwarf frog
Mystery snail

Just suggestions

I don't like frogs!
I have a lot of little red snails currently!
Can I breed badis or apistoes?
I have a separate Siamese betta!
I had a ram before !
Will Corys eat snails or shrimp?
Can I keep other fish with shrimp?
Thanks for the help

You could always put bala sharks in their but they grow quiet large and like to be kept in schools of 6 or more, try angelfish or if you have a bit more money discus their lovely fish

Angels, hatchets, discus, NW cichlids. Go weird get a knights blue lobster or hammers cobalt blue lobster, albino xray tetras, glass cats. Cory shouldn't bother with your shrimp granted you give the shrimp rock hiding places, and it's a plus being planted. The cories will need open sand, preferably with some plant coverage to tear up and play in and offerings of meaty chunks of prepared foods.

Instead of reading an aquarium sites recommendations do yourselves a favor and look at the surroundings of these creatures in the wild. Sites like this are ok to get basic information from, but everyone contradicts everyone else so often you might as well cut and paste a wikipedia excerpt and it's handbook for the aquarist exact opposition and call it a discussion. I just come on here to share experiences I've had enough of it. Now and talk to marine biologists, scientists studying first hand and extensive ecosystem research. People aren't the creator of these worldly water inhabitants, most on here aren't professionals, most don't think about the places where their fish came from and the ecosystems they naturally occur or what keeps it going naturally. Sorry for the rant- information overload

Angels, hatchets, discus, NW cichlids. Go weird get a knights blue lobster or hammers cobalt blue lobster, albino xray tetras, glass cats. Cory shouldn't bother with your shrimp granted you give the shrimp rock hiding places, and it's a plus being planted. The cories will need open sand, preferably with some plant coverage to tear up and play in and offerings of meaty chunks of prepared foods.

Instead of reading an aquarium sites recommendations do yourselves a favor and look at the surroundings of these creatures in the wild. Sites like this are ok to get basic information from, but everyone contradicts everyone else so often you might as well cut and paste a wikipedia excerpt and it's handbook for the aquarist exact opposition and call it a discussion. I just come on here to share experiences I've had enough of it. Now and talk to marine biologists, scientists studying first hand and extensive ecosystem research. People aren't the creator of these worldly water inhabitants, most on here aren't professionals, most don't think about the places where their fish came from and the ecosystems they naturally occur or what keeps it going naturally. Sorry for the rant- information overload

ktomminello: ranting aside ;), you make a very good point to get more info about the fish one is interested in keeping opposed to what others would like to see in your tank. A lot comes into play when choosing, such as local availablility, water chemistry, hardiness, lifespan, and eventual adult size, for example. Being a former professional :cool:, I'd suggest going into your local independant pet/ fish store and look at what is available then talk to the proprietors about the care and needs of the fish you are interested in. They make their living by caring for their stock so they know what is necessary (more often than not.) Pretty much every fish purchase should require 2 trips to the store. First trip is to see what's available followed by some research. The second trip would be to purchase the fish. Making sure your new tankmate will be a good fit is worth not buying it on impulse and much less costly :brows:.

Lastly, we need to keep in mind that a lot of the fish available in today's hobby are not wild specimens or even found in the wild. For example: What is a Berry Tetra? Is it a variation of a Black Tetra? Diamond Tetra? Phantom Tetra? You see, these fish can be found in the wild, Berry Tetras cannot. The list of unatural fish goes on. More research is necessary to have a good stabile environment and a happy tank.

And to the OP, 60 liters (approx 16 US Gals.) is not a very large tank so bigger fish will probably not do well in your tank. As for breeding fish that are not Guppies or other livebearers, you might want to stay with some smaller cichlids that are known to form lasting pair bonds and like to raise their own fry. Rams, Kribensis or Convicts come to mind but are far from a complete list of fish. ;)

I hope this helps (y)

ktomminello: ranting aside ;), you make a very good point to get more info about the fish one is interested in keeping opposed to what others would like to see in your tank. A lot comes into play when choosing, such as local availablility, water chemistry, hardiness, lifespan, and eventual adult size, for example. Being a former professional :cool:, I'd suggest going into your local independant pet/ fish store and look at what is available then talk to the proprietors about the care and needs of the fish you are interested in. They make their living by caring for their stock so they know what is necessary (more often than not.) Pretty much every fish purchase should require 2 trips to the store. First trip is to see what's available followed by some research. The second trip would be to purchase the fish. Making sure your new tankmate will be a good fit is worth not buying it on impulse and much less costly :brows:.

Lastly, we need to keep in mind that a lot of the fish available in today's hobby are not wild specimens or even found in the wild. For example: What is a Berry Tetra? Is it a variation of a Black Tetra? Diamond Tetra? Phantom Tetra? You see, these fish can be found in the wild, Berry Tetras cannot. The list of unatural fish goes on. More research is necessary to have a good stabile environment and a happy tank.

And to the OP, 60 liters (approx 16 US Gals.) is not a very large tank so bigger fish will probably not do well in your tank. As for breeding fish that are not Guppies or other livebearers, you might want to stay with some smaller cichlids that are known to form lasting pair bonds and like to raise their own fry. Rams, Kribensis or Convicts come to mind but are far from a complete list of fish. ;)

I hope this helps (y)

Thanks :) don't even mention berry tetras to me- they are nothing more than glass tetras that are tattooed- and of you want this fish than shame on you- it should be the fishes choice whether or he gets a tattoo, lol- that's how ridiculous I think making that argument is towards me ;) I have been involved with my moms indoor river and pond sanctuary (2500 square feet of biotopes), this has given me some hands on, trial and error research intensive experience, I, however do not consider myself a professional... I am getting more and more frustrated by the saltwater communities complete lack of a truly ecological oversight of their habitat with a lack of even a comprehensive explanation. Gosh I guess I'm having anger issues today

Thanks :) don't even mention berry tetras to me- they are nothing more than glass tetras that are tattooed- and of you want this fish than shame on you- it should be the fishes choice whether or he gets a tattoo, lol- that's how ridiculous I think making that argument is towards me ;) I have been involved with my moms indoor river and pond sanctuary (2500 square feet of biotopes), this has given me some hands on, trial and error research intensive experience, I, however do not consider myself a professional... I am getting more and more frustrated by the saltwater communities complete lack of a truly ecological oversight of their habitat with a lack of even a comprehensive explanation. Gosh I guess I'm having anger issues today

LOL I was just using them (Berry Tets) as an example. They didn't even exist when I was selling fish :D But I understand your point. What I was trying to bring out was that fish in our tanks are not neccessarily fish found in the wild and to truly understand their needs, we need to know their origins.
I understand that the Tropical Fish hobby is a growing entitiy and creativity in fish has it's pros and cons. I'm reminded of a time, many years ago, when I made a stink about some of the "new" (at the time) long finned varieties of certain fish and was reminded that the Veiltail Angelfish, one of my all time favorite fishes, is also a man made creation so I just take the new fish available today in stride as you never know who will just love them for what they are and not what they once were. ;)

You do , however, make a good point about not understanding the natural ecologies of fish by their keepers. This, however, is not the correct thread to rant on about that (cause if it were, I'd be ranting along with ya :D(y):lol:)

BTW, I have been to the many places in Central and S. America where I have seen a lot of our fish in their natural surroundings. It's why I know how to set up my tanks for the fish I keep (or kept.) I've also studied marine habitats while underwater as well. :brows: :D

60l = approx 15 gallons, correct? So, angels and/or discus... not so much. Well, fry growout maybe. blue cray if it were the only resident, but a pair would likely end up as a single.

Back
Top Bottom