Advice on How to Choose Breeding Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I am planning on breeding platies. I have been doing research and know the basics, 1:3 or at least 1:2 ratio of males to females, they are livebearers, best to have a fry tank, etc. I am going to keep the fish in my 26 gallon planted community tank, and set up a 10 gallon fry tank to put the fry in.
I'm thinking perhaps I'll start with one set, maybe two or three females plus the handsome red wagtail male I already have. Maybe later I will get another male and 2-3 more females, but I figure starting slow (especially with such prolific breeders) is a better idea. I know when selecting stock one should look for healthy, active fish with no signs of illness, but I'm stumped when it comes for selection of strain.
I don't know if I should just get more red wagtails, so that I can be fairly certain what the fry will look like (even though I learned that it is very rare for a fish to be solely of one strain, and that background traits from parents or grandparents could make random appearances). I am also considering getting some other strains and seeing what happens. I really love the honeybee platies and the metallic blue ones. The marigold and sunset are also gorgeous. However, I am worried I will end up with dull fry. I guess I like to know what I'm doing going into anything, so I don't want to just pick some fish I like and toss them in the tank without some idea of what might happen. I know it's hard to predict what fry will look like sometimes because of genes popping up from past generations, but if there is anyone with personal experience with platies (or other fish, for that matter) who can help me, that would be great.
I've tried Punnett squares, but to no avail. Every Google search yields "just try it and then you'll see what happens," but I figure there must be some rhyme and reason to this process.
All help is greatly appreciated.

I think I've decided to just go with a bunch of different strains and see what happens. Still, for anyone with experience breeding platies, I could use some help. :)

If you find a strain you like, buy a trio or two and breed those in its own tank without any other fish or different strains. Then as the fry come out, any that grow up without the traits you want, sell/humanly kill them. Remove them from the gene pool as fast as possible.

If you really want to color them up, in the summer, consider putting some outdoors and try and get them very vibrant. Most of this process is trail and error as well as the rest of the hobby. And don't be afraid to fail because that is part of learning.

Thanks so much for the help! I think I'll go with red wags, sunsets, or some other orange/yellow/red ones.

Back
Top Bottom