African dwarf frogs, can they reproduce (help sexing please)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Live2Love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I caught, yet again, my frogs in "the position"... I'm unsure of their genders, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine if these 2 are going to have babies!?20170827_075220.jpg20170827_081603.jpg20170827_082831.jpg20170827_081844.jpg

Short answer is yes they can breed.

The frogs can become friendly during mating season. Amplexus. The female will lay eggs and the male will fertilize them and there may be tiny cluster of clearish gel looking dots in the center of eggs at the top of the water.

Do you see any?

Yup I do lol thank you! They're mating....again! They've been locked together "hugging" for almost 18 hours now... How long does this go on for? They just laid eggs 2 days ago lol

I would do a couple pretty decent water changes to freshen up the water as much as possible in anticipation for tiny tadpoles!!!

If you have a intake you need to get a pre filter sponge so you don't suck them into the impeller.

There is an Fluval Edge tank sponge prefilter which fits on most intakes for the HOB filters and it is usually at Petco and I have seen at Petsmart but they have been changing around their suppliers so not positive but I think so still.

Added a link soa as not to have any confusion to what I was referring to for you and future readers.
EDGE Pre-filter Sponge | A1387 | Filter Media | Fluval
Not positive as to what they would want to eat but there was another thread the below section can't recall atm which, I think they would eat the Hikari Fry food First Bites but us it very sparingly, a little goes a long way. Try using the end of a tooth pick.

pwc maybe through a prefilter sponge or with a net around it to keep from sucking them up or just use a cup and do a cup by cup removal checking for tadpoles as you go.

How fun, and how tiny.

Start looking for possilby an additional tank to start moving them ito as I imagine there will be a bunch an water quaility will be a concern with feeding.

After they get a bit bigger you might be able to try baby brine shrimp, which you might be able to find at a lfs or SW lfs frozen and slice off small amounts at a time.

As their mouths grow big enough they will probably eat about anything meaty based. I would try to vary foods as they grow up! Frozen foods will be a good resource but also pelleted foods to get them used to a captive diet in someones tank.

Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

How exciting!!!

Back
Top Bottom