Aggressive Endler Fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am completely stumped as to why my 3 week old Endler fry is chasing/nipping at my adult Male Molly. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks-Sarah

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp and the small fries...

Update: I have separated the fry from his other tank mates. Any advice would be great.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp and the small fries...

I've only kept Endler fry with their own kind. No aggressive behaviour I can recall. It's odd for fry to be pushy, usually they are looking for places to hide from larger fish. How large are the Endlers ?

He's a little over 1/2" not entirely sure if male or female, he's about 3 weeks old give or take.

You usually don't see colour, to tell you if it's male, for months. It's odd he's being pushy. I"d just keep him separate for now, as the Molly might get annoyed and eat him. I"m a bit surprised the Molly didn't eat him already, they are usually quite happy to snack on fry.

I have 2 other endler fry same age and three were in the tank before I added the Mollies.

You usually don't see colour, to tell you if it's male, for months. It's odd he's being pushy. I"d just keep him separate for now, as the Molly might get annoyed and eat him. I"m a bit surprised the Molly didn't eat him already, they are usually quite happy to snack on fry.

Every once in awhile the Molly will just act like he's sick and flutters around, but the next morning he's fine. Everyone else in the tank seems happy, I just got two new batches of fry.

I'm keeping and breeding endlers for 10 years now and I do have so say that I've never had this problem. No aggression towards their own kind or even other kinds.
Are you definately sure that they're endlers? I'm asking this for overhere in Holland musquitofish (gambusia holbrooki and affinis) are sold by ignorance of the lfs's as being endlers or even guppies. And they're real fin nippers! And they're for sure not bright coloured. The gambusia affinis remains grey...

I'm keeping and breeding endlers for 10 years now and I do have so say that I've never had this problem. No aggression towards their own kind or even other kinds.
Are you definately sure that they're endlers? I'm asking this for overhere in Holland musquitofish (gambusia holbrooki and affinis) are sold by ignorance of the lfs's as being endlers or even guppies. And they're real fin nippers! And they're for sure not bright coloured. The gambusia affinis remains grey...

I'm absolutely certain that they are Endlers, it's just the one fry who keeps doing it.

Well, I must say that I just don't know why this fry seems so aggressive towards others... And again, I've got 31 different endler strains overhere and mine are not aggressive at all... and honestly, I haven't seen them being aggressive. The only thing that happens from time to time overhere is that males among eachother are trying to see who's the alpha male by dancing in a circle with open fins...

Might not want to breed this guy, just in case he has some sort of defect ? Just let him be a fish but don't let him around the ladies. Likely would't be an issue but I don't think anyone would much care for an aggressive strain of Endlers.

My fry tank has cycled, so now all my fry are happily swimming around with no worries of being a snack. Mr. "Sh**head" Is now keeping herd over the fry and Creamy(M Molly) Is living it up with his ladies...

You sure the endler fry wasn't a hybrid between the male guppy and the female endler?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You sure the endler fry wasn't a hybrid between the male guppy and the female endler?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I'm sure. I recently just purchased the guppy. The fry were already in my tank before adding the guppy. The LFS I got the endlers from only had the two female endlers, I knew they were pregnant before I purchased them. They were only kept with male endlers.

Back
Top Bottom