Albino Ancistrus breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have literally hundred's of albino ancistrus fry. Over 300 and I lost count. Several will be going to auction next weekend. As they grow the others will be sold to a local lfs. The parents breed every 3 weeks so I have a constant supply.

img_912413_0_00c2ab3cf043da7325dc9b2d7df07720.jpg

img_912413_1_051332a865aea4e5706da6ff3b682ece.jpg

img_912413_2_2f49df463d43bf3ddea734debd9ffd01.jpg

That's impressive Anne! I have 3 ABN pleco's in my 29g tank, and I just noticed the first nose bristle on one of them(they have already developed bristles on the sides). I am pretty excited, as it won't be too long now before they start breeding. I also have 5 younger standard BN plecos growing up in my 20g tank :)

Thanks Mike, I have actually got a breeding trio. The male alternates between females. His mini harem.

I have both a 20 gal and a 10 gal currently and have another 20 gal ready to go as these guys grow. Hopefully a lot of them will be sold at the auction.

I have both a 20 gal and a 10 gal currently and have another 20 gal ready to go as these guys grow. Hopefully a lot of them will be sold at the auction.

Do you plan on selling any online? Once mine start breeding I'm not sure if I want to ship them out. Seems like it could turn into a hassle, but it may very well be worth it. We'll see what things are like when that time comes though.

As we are coming up on winter here I would be reluctant until spring. This weekend we are expecting 10-15 cm of snow!

Some areas received 1-3" around here! Its supposed to be in the 70's again next week, so my shipment of plants that I'll be sending out, and the package of plants that I'll be receiving, should leave/come just in time.

Off topic but it is your snow that is building to a storm here. :p You know what winter weather is like so you know how hard it is to ship during winter long distances.

Off topic but it is your snow that is building to a storm here. :p You know what winter weather is like so you know how hard it is to ship during winter long distances.

This is why I will not ship plants during the winter, and I will not ship fish when I get to that point. I also do not purchase any fish that require being shipped during the winter.

Thank goodness I sold close to 100 at the auction today. Didn't think I could but I guess people still want healthy BN plecos. Don't have to worry about shipping for a couple of months yet now. :)

Anne, I'm interested in breeding BN plecos. Is there any advice you could give on a setup and what the parameters of the tank should be and how to induce spawning? I'm planning on putting them (trio if I can find one) in a 29g tank, possibly with my Endlers. I've looked around and done a tiny bit of research but I'm sure you know quite a bit on the subject. Please let me know what you do in order to get yours to spawn.

Mike, albinos on Aquabid can go for $5 each or possibly more around 2". Long finned plecos tend to draw a bit more. There is also a blue eyed variant which I saw one breeder selling for $40 each at this size!

Quite honestly the best thing I have found for them to spawn is a trio like you want, a place for them to lay the eggs, (for me that is a castle turret of all things!), and regular water changes. The tank is planted which I am sure helps. Once they start though, there is NO stopping them. Just a warning. Have lots of smaller tanks around, LOL.

I may try my hand at long finned once I get yet another tank up and running. They are certainly more desirable around here due to the fact they are more rare.

Mike, albinos on Aquabid can go for $5 each or possibly more around 2". Long finned plecos tend to draw a bit more. There is also a blue eyed variant which I saw one breeder selling for $40 each at this size!

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased mine on aquabid about a year ago, but I think I only paid a couple bucks each for them. I was curious to know how much Anne was able to get for them locally.

Once they start though, there is NO stopping them. Just a warning. Have lots of smaller tanks around, LOL.

I wish mine would start already. I am in the process of setting up a 20L tank to put them in. I think they are almost ready. One ABN is showing bristles up and between the eyes, while the other one is only showing a couple on the sides of its head.

Hi Ann. Here's a voice from the past. LOL. Congrats on the BN spawn. They are alot of fun and are easy to sell because EVERYONE wants them. They're the ideal pleco.

Back
Top Bottom