Albinoism how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been raising some GBR eggs and learning about albinism in school. And I have been thinking how do fish turn "albino"? I kno it's a pigment and stuff....how would I go about making my fish albino?

I have been raising some GBR eggs and learning about albinism in school. And I have been thinking how do fish turn "albino"? I kno it's a pigment and stuff....how would I go about making my fish albino?

Ok, so you have learned in scool that albinoism is a genetic trait that is most often brought out by a fluke pairing of 2 animals that both have a stronger/ less recessive albino gene. The way Albino fish are "created, is by taking 2 albino fish that have the albino phenotype and breeding them together. Taking those offspring and breeding them to their mothers and fathers respectively to help lock in the Albino gene to make it a dominant gene and not a recessive gene anymore. This takes a few generations to do.

In the case with your rams, if they are tank bred parents, the albino gene is probably DEEEEP within their genetic makeup because they have been being bred for generations to be blue or gold. The best way (that I've been told) to get albino fish is to use wild stock as these will have the highest percentage of albino genes (unless you use albino fish that somebody else locked in that gene.)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom