all 29 are females? please help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djtypykuhl

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have 5 mollies (2 mature, one of each gender), a female platy, and a male swordtail. (i also have a snail and 2 plecos, but thats not important)

my mollies bread and i now have 18 baby mollies seperated, all female

my male molly crossed with my platty, creating 11 more babies, all female as well...

what's going on here? why are they all female? does the tank's temp have anything to do with it? or is it just extreme bad luck?

i dont think they are all female, maybe the fry are too young to have gender definition?
and how sure are you the platy and molly crossed? they would be full and wierd hybrids lol, as molly are poecilla and platies are xiphophorus.

how big are the babies?
bearing in mind platies and swordtails are known for changing gender to adapt to the lack of opposite gender - like all females, one or more will turn male x

how do they "turn male"?...thats crazy.

they are big enough to where i can clearly see the extra fin closest to the tail that the males dont ever have. they are about 1/4 to 3/4 a centameter long, varrying from fish to fish

im almost certain the molly and platty crossed because my male molly is a golden-orange and my female hi-fin platty is scarlet; the young are pretty much a perfect blend that i can only describe as golden.

Yea iv had this, if u want some males turn ur temp a little, say ur temp is at 80 you most likly have females but if your turn ur temp to about 76 you will a get some boyz and girls. Hope this helps and no you can not "turn" your females into males only if they are new borns but there gender is determined in about a weekz

The ganopodium in live bearing fish may not develope until they are 3 mnths or older. Alot of fish have the ability to shift genders as adults, all clownfish are male until one decides to be dominate and becomes female. Live bearers may be able to do the same thing when neccesary. Live bearers can store sperm for some time from a single mateing, so unless the platy was born and raised in your tank without ever being with a male, it may be that she may have finally become comfortable enough in your tank to use her stored sperm.

My platy fry were like this too. It takes a while to be able to distinguish the gonopodium in the males.

my guppy fry are about a month old and the males have colour on their tails, their gonopodium only just shows a slim point and that was from yesterday. so its still not definite, but there looks like alot of males lol...
i had a swordtail female and one male bunch, two turned male after having batches of fry themselves when the prev male died. its wierd but true!

btw, livebearers have been known to be able to hold sperm for 3 fry batches, so it looks like they impregnate themselves. kinda cool.

Back
Top Bottom