am i going to be a fish mommy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyoto tig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just noticed that the new molly is a bit... rounded. reminds me of when i had a guppy that gave birth the day after i got it.

this is the best picture i could get.

img_1116483_0_e673ce1e444214cdcd4257d788086ba8.jpg

if i am looking to be a fish mommy, how many young do they typically birth? should i transfer her into another tank until she pops? i'm worried b/c my tank is a bit overstocked as it is.

dont even have to look at it to tell you the answer is yes. almost all female livebearers you get that are mixed with males will be pergo when you get them. normally its i think every 21 days if i remember correctly off hand.... 15-25 would be normal but they can have a lot more then that. i would just leave her in the tank. the other fish will eat the fry for the most part. unless you have another tank set up cycled plus space to raise all the fry i wouldnt worry about it.

thanks. yeah she definitely looks prego to me. my husband's going back and forth between let the fish eat the fry and let's keep the fry.

I would say, yes, I agree with mg. Add a male and female with some water and you are pretty much guaranteed to have fry.

BTW, I moved this to the Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding section.

You could also explore raising just a few fry, for fun. If you have space, that is. The rest will most likely become snacks!

I have a 10G that, when not in use for QT, I will try to snag fry into.

Back
Top Bottom