Angel breeding in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend has a 55 gallon consisting of danios, red eye tetras, red minor tetras, mystery snails, and one angelfish (I think that's all of them) and she is planning on picking up a pair of breeding angelfish off of Craigslist.

She's wondering if the breeding angels will STOP breeding if they are placed in a community tank.

Also, she's wondering if they don't spawn in the community tank, will they spawn a few months down the road? She wants to get a 30 gallon for them but she's waiting for a good deal off of Craigslist where they can get lights and stuff. Then the cycling. So it's be a few months but would the angels continue in that tank if they stop in the community tank?

My friend has a 55 gallon consisting of danios, red eye tetras, red minor tetras, mystery snails, and one angelfish (I think that's all of them) and she is planning on picking up a pair of breeding angelfish off of Craigslist.

She's wondering if the breeding angels will STOP breeding if they are placed in a community tank.

Also, she's wondering if they don't spawn in the community tank, will they spawn a few months down the road? She wants to get a 30 gallon for them but she's waiting for a good deal off of Craigslist where they can get lights and stuff. Then the cycling. So it's be a few months but would the angels continue in that tank if they stop in the community tank?

The Angels might stop breeding for a while because of the change in environment but NOT because they are being put into a community tank. In fact, that is probably not the best pace to put them as breeding Angels tend to take over a section of the tank to spawn in and can raise havoc and even kill off the other fish in the tanks to protect their eggs. The best place to put them would be in a tank by themselves.

To help insure that they will breed again, your friend should make sure she gets the following info from the breeder before getting the fish: PH, General hardness, and temp the fish spawned at. BY duplicating these conditions, it increases the chances the fish will breed again.
There is a thread under the breeding forum titled " Wigglers at last!!!" which is an ongoing discussion by current commercial and hobbyist breeders about the breeding and raising of Angelfish. You and/or your friend might want to read through it before you move forward with the pair. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

I will let her know! I will be going with her to help her out (although I'm not the smartest, I know more than her about angels) so I will ensure that is taken care of.

Will the other angelfish be okay? Will they kill that one off? What if she adds one more to even off the group number? She is willing to do that if necessary. The pair is a STEAL DEAL I told her about it because I already have 5 angels in MY 55 gallon :p

I texted her too she will look for a good proper tank size ASAP and get it ready ASAP. But it might take a couple months at least she's worried about the angel.

Back
Top Bottom