Angel breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james77

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I'm new to this breeding and could use some help. I have 3 adults in my 55g, 2 golden and 1 gold marble. One of my golden's and the marble have spawned, this is their first go at in and the male ate the eggs. Anyways they do not want the other gold angel in the tank with them at all, attacking it nonstop and was causing the attacking female to ge a little damage to it's tail fin from all the chasing. So the angel being harassed was removed and I don't think I'll be able to put it back cause it seems to always get picked on even though the 2 gold's were living in there peacefully by themselves for ten months until I added the gold marble male. Yes both gold's are female's. Now the one I removed has one ventricular fin missing, I bought it that way and and a few other imperfections so should I just give it to the lfs and be happy that I have a pair in my 55 that's gets along and is trying to breed.I guess my overall question is should I just keep my 2 or should I try and add more. The two that are trying to breed would make some very nice looking angels I think. The one is a gold marble with heavy marbling and the golden is a veil fin. Sorry if I'm rambling on just new at the angel stuff. Oh and the only other occupants of the tank are 4 rams, 7 cory's and a clown pleco. Now that the other golden female has been removed the pair in my 55g are a lot more peaceful and are always near each other.

Yes, in a 55 one pair is good. You have see firsthand what will happen if you put more in the tank. Return the third one to the LFS. Gratz on the pair.

FYI, You may run into the same problem with your rams if they start to pair off. Rams are cichlids like the angels and tend to be and or become extremely territorial when mating. So be ready to remove rams if need be.

I gave the angel to the lfs and the rams I've had for over a year with no problems.

The nice part about Angelfish is that they look really nice in schools. The bad part is if 2 of them pair off, they will demolish the rest of the school if they interfere with their breeding. :( Breeding pairs are best kept by themselves. If you try to force other fish into the tank, they will most likely lose. :(

There is a thread in this breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!!" which is an ongoing thread by both pro breeders and other AA members all about breeding Angelfish. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding these fish has been discussed on this thread. I'd suggest you read through it :D

Hope this helps

Well I don't have the setup to do a full scale breeding yet. I'm just watch the pair I have to see their progress and to see if they'll start figuring it out. I do know that now they don't want any fish by them. I'm glad my rams always stay in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom