Angel Eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was cleaning my planted 75 gallon tank last night and I noticed angelfish eggs on the leaf of one of my sword plants. Very exciting! Maybe this was a bad move (I know they would not survive in a community tank. :?) I cut the leaf off at its base and carefully moved the leaf to my 5 gallon. This tank is kept very minimum with a sponge filter and heater, some java fern/moss for biological filtration (kept cycled with a betta who I evicted). This tank was originally set up for possible Apisto fry which I am actively trying to breed, but if my angels want to breed, then great! :)

This morning there are three or four white eggs, which I assume are unfertilized, but the rest are still clear. I stuck a plant weight to the bottom stem of the leaf to help it stay upright, and placed it near the sponge filter for good aeration.

Any advice you can give would be great, as I have never breed angels (or anything other then convicts :?)

Here are some pictures of the lovely parents and the eggs!

Thanks in advance!
img_822074_0_577ee85f89a664f960810201ee51855d.jpg

DAD is like a mostly black mable coloration
img_822074_1_c13815928a14cf92effb06d05b5f4e68.jpg

MOM is zebra striped
img_822074_2_57c605afc083653d15b8b3afe4a4b7fa.jpg

The eggs look good. Mine usually hatch in 2-3 days. A gentle flow from an air stone nearby will help keep the eggs clean. Egg yolk or newly hatched Brine shrimp make a good first food.

The parents are good looking fish, Congrats!!

rich311k said:
The eggs look good. Mine usually hatch in 2-3 days. A gentle flow from an air stone nearby will help keep the eggs clean. Egg yolk or newly hatched Brine shrimp make a good first food.

The parents are good looking fish, Congrats!!
thanks!

Good job - I never got mine to the wiggler stage - removed them twice , now I leave mine in the community . Now you have me wanting to see if I can raise some fry .

i am to the free swimming stage, i have been feeding them BBS (frozen :?) i hope they are eating them, as i can not tell

Good luck with your angel fry. Are you feeding them anything else besides frozen BBS? I've read that Cyclop-Eeze is a good alternative and intend to try it soon.

I feed mine frozen Hikari BBS and Hikari First Bites. They seem to do very well. I want to try the cyclop-eeze although it sounds like they're very similar to BBS. I also want to setup a sizable, rotating BBS hatchery soon. With it established I'd like to try the various gut-loading techniques and see if it improves mortality or growth rates. As soon as I can, I'm going to post some information about my community tank angel breeding experiments.

Congrats on your angel babies! Keep us posted!

Unfortunately I just don't have the room to keep any live foods. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and already have 9 tanks set up. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of JDogg's angel fry. I could never get my angelfish eggs to the wriggler stage.

well i lost all the fry in that spawning, i do not think they were eating the frozen bbs :(

BUT.... as i type the pair is laying a new batch, i plan to place an order for brine shrimp eggs and try to hatch my own (live) BBS!... :D

They spawned again? Nice. well hopefully all goes well this time. I love the black or almost all black angels. I almost got them but decided to try apistos instead.

grrrr.... how frustrating.... despite doing everything "better" this time.

i filled the tank with water from the parents tank (it was betta water last time)

i did not expose the eggs to air this time. and i added Acriflavin right away this time, instead of waiting almost 48 hours, the eggs are all fungus! :(

Back
Top Bottom