Angel fish? Babys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
i think my angelfish just laid eggs. i ahve this thing in my tank and they have been picking at it for a few days, i thought they were cleaning it cuz there is some algae on it, well i look cvlose today and there are a bunch of eggs on it. the angelfish have been around the area for a while the past couple days. they are clear and white eggs. but now iahve a problem, i dont know wat to do wtih them, should i buy a breeder box thing or weill they be fine. also im getting a new tank on saturday, wehat should i do to get these eggs intot he tank?

PS. yesterday my one angelfish got stuck in this thing, there were no eggs on it yesterday cuz i had to move it to get him/her out. could this alos explain the aggressive beahiour they were displaying.

Congrats and good luck to the expecting parents!
You might want to search Allivymar's posts while you are waiting for her to chime in.
She's had great success breeding angels and there are some fantastic pics in her gallery. Cute little buggers - getting big fast!

Heh, you don't have to do anything if you aren't ready for angelfish babies yet. Chances are the parents will eat the eggs or the wigglers; they often do until they get the hang of things. If its a community tank with other fish, they too will likely chow on the eggs/wigglers/fry as well.

A breeders net is a no-no for angelfish babies; they need slow but circulating water. The eggs will hatch in the next day or 2, and if they make it that far you'll have wigglers, which is the next stage. Basically the fry...wiggle LOL and are still eating from the yolk sac. They have a sticky spot on their heads and the parents move em around and stick them to things. They are free swimming around a week, and need to be fed once they go free swimming. Baby brine shrimp is the recommended food; they can't eat regular fish food for a while. Its too big and not nutritious enough for the babies.

The white eggs are non-fertilized, but the clear tannish ones are viable eggs. Here's one of the best write-ups on raising angelfish if you are considering giving this a go this time around: http://www.angelsplus.com/breeding.htm . Keep in mind this isn't a first, and they'll probably lay often, so if you aren't ready yet, you'll have plenty of chances! I prefer to let the parents raise them, but I had a 25g that I could move the parents into. Some folks (as you will read) hand raise them instead, but I think thats too much work LOL and the angelfish make better angelfish parents then we do IMHO.

And yes, a breeding pair of angelfish can be REALLY aggressive. They have been known to cower an entire 55g tank of fish into a corner, and may be so aggressive they kill other fish and even each other!

And yes, a breeding pair of angelfish can be REALLY aggressive. They have been known to cower an entire 55g tank of fish into a corner, and may be so aggressive they kill other fish and even each other!
Nothing like cichlid parents!! :lol:

k well all my angelfish have basically done is stay by the spot that the eggs are at. i hope some of them live. how should i go aobut moving them into a new tank, that im getting on saturday and am excited lol

i can try. umm so they will spawn more after. does n e one suggest ne thing about moving them tomorrow. gettin my new fw

The link I gave has all the info you need for caring for the fry in a separate tank. As for moving them, I found a new, clean turkey baster was the best way. You don't want the fry to hit the air, so sucking them up into a turkey baster keeps em in the water, and is a much more gentle way of moving em.

k i just went and bought a turkey baster. should i put themi nto a small fish bowl with the angelfsi hthat is always around them ,or should i put them in the bowl with all the other fish. what should i do after i baste them off, should i put them back on the thing they are sitting on or should i just leave them on the bottom.

also if they dont hatch in a day or two is there sumthing wrong or will they be fine

Have you read the website I gave you? A lot of the questions you are asking are covered in there. It states if you are parent raising, you need a tank of at least 20g for example (under Tank Set-Up). If you are moving the eggs, you just move the thing the angelfish laid them on. If you are moving wigglers, the same. If you are moving free swimming fry, the turkey baster is the best way to go. Moving the eggs is discussed on that website too, in the "Hatching Angelfish Eggs" section. And I don't know what you mean by "should i put them in the bowl with all the other fish".

In the meantime, depending on the water temp, the eggs will hatch from 36-72 hours from being laid. If they are white, and not clear and tannish, they won't hatch.

I kind think you may want to forgo raising this batch until you have a good handle on whats needed; its a lot of work if you aren't parent raising, and isn't exactly easy if you are. There's a lot to know to do it correctly; raising angelfish isn't like raising livebearers.

ok. i read most of that site, i just have been really busy with school and work that i skimmed over some parts. i am not going to raise them im going to let the angelfish parents raise them, the one has been really watching them and not letting anyone near. also about the bowl thing. i am going to place my fish in a bucket for a smallamount of time while i get the new tank in and set uyp and wat i meant was if it was ok to place them uin there. also about half are whtie the other half are a tannish clear colour. thanks for all your help

Do read it closely; there is a ton of info you'll need to know.

As for the bucket, don't do it. The more you move the fish and the eggs, the more stressed the parents will be and the more likely they will eat the eggs. Get the new tank set up and move them directly. Make sure you are putting them into a cycled tank btw, else the nitrogenous waste will kill the fry and possible the adults. Using media from a mature tank should do the trick.

And again, they are going to do this a LOT! If you can't get things set up in time this batch, you'll have a chance to do it all again in a week or 2. It might be better to give the tank a chance to mature and the parents some time to settle in their new tank anyway.

thank you so much for the help. i will try to leave the tankset up as lon as possible.

This is off topic but amusing. Today we had about 60 fry in the convict tank at pet'smart. We ended up giving hem away.

Can't find em?

They might have. The eggs might have hatched too, and the parents may have moved the wigglers; look around the tank carefully! If the parents are hanging around one spot again, even if its a different spot, check it. My angels moved their brood 3 times after they hatched and before the babies went free swimming. However, my angels also ate their eggs the first 6-7 times they mated too.

well i hope this doesnt sound mean. i kinda hope they did eat there babies becuz i have to boil all my stuff to get the snails off it

They laid eggs again. Im really glad. It was kind of cool too, because i caught them as they were being laid. They put thmeon the filter intake tube and they are all a tannish clear colour. It would be very cool if they didn't eat them this time, and some survived.

Back
Top Bottom