Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angel Fish Fry

My angels have spawned, layed eggs, and are actually caring for them successfully in my 75 gallon community tank! Its the first time eggs have gotten past the first night, now they are wriggling and growing eyes (day 4 or 5). but that brings me to my actual question. Do I have to feed angel fish fry BBS or can i get away with Liquifry or some other off the shelf fry food. I'm trying to decide whether I should try to seperate the fry once they are free swimming and put them in a safe place (away from my schools of tetras). but i'm not ready to get into the BBS hatcheries. I don't mind lossing some as i don't have a good place to grow them all out anyway, but i'd like to try to keep a few if possible. I'm just not ready to feed BBS for the next 3 weeks. And if none of the fry will make it on anything but BBS then i'll just forgo the efforts to remove the fry and let nature run its course.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BBS is great for fry- but I have nearly as good results feeding my fry Hikari First Bites. It's loaded with protein and is small enough that even tiny multifasciatus fry can eat it.

Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just fed Liquifry, and had some success raising angelfish to adulthood. Another first stage food you could try that is easy to "make" is infusoria (protozoans), but I would use it in conjunction with Liquifry or First Bites.

One set of infusoria instructions can be found here: http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/infusoria.htm

That description gets a bit complex, but just sticking a crushed fresh lettuce leaf in a jar of water by a window with the lid on loosely and pouring a little slosh into your tank every day would probably do it.
poikilotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, everything on-line basically reads "Feed BBS or you will have no success" and since everywhere i read that seemed to be selling BBS cysts i figured there must be something else. Thanks for the feedback, I'll make a run to the store today and see what i can find!

Tags
angel, angel fish, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com