Angel fish sexing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone able to sex my angel fish?ive heard from alot of people telling me its really hard, nearly impossible to prop sex them but i thought id ask the question anyway and see! :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1450122452378.jpg
    1450122452378.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1450122470718.jpg
    1450122470718.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
Do you know what an ovipositor or vent is? That's the closest to foolproof sexing as it gets. If I had to guess I would say female? But I'm maybe 60% sure.

No im not too sure what they are tbh! Noo prob thanks! :)

Anyone able to sex my angel fish?ive heard from alot of people telling me its really hard, nearly impossible to prop sex them but i thought id ask the question anyway and see! :)

The ability to accurately sex an Angelfish from external features has pretty much gone by the wayside with today's Angelfish. Today's fish are not like their wild ancestors. There have been many reported cases and personal experiences of males and females having traits of the opposite gender so the only way to be 100% sure is to watch them spawn. (The one laying the eggs is the female. :brows::lol: :whistle: )
The fish need to be at least about 6-8 months old before they are ready to breed or, in the case of females, show enlargement due to the eggs. If you are interested in breeding the fish and your fish is at least this age, there are some things I can suggest to help you determine gender but, as I said previously, it will not be 100% guaranteed. Case in point, even some of my current pairs would fail the tests I would have you do ( and these were the standard observations just 20-30 years ago.:blink:)

Just let me know. (y)

Back
Top Bottom