Angelfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up another 75 gallon aquarium and my plans are to put angelfish only in the tank (after waiting for tank recycling).
Does anyone know if you need to put in all the same type of angel fish to make sure the babies are the same?
If I put in a variety of angelfish (colors/markings) will that make the fry be strange looking?

i prefer to keep the breeds the same but you can mix them to get cool different colors. i have 10 breeding pair and 2 pairs are different colored . i have mixed a orange one with a koi to get more orange color in them. in my 55 gallon grow out tank i have black vails-white pearl scale- and koi- and blue pearl scales. any thing i can help with pm me anytime

It's really going to depend on the genetics of the breeders. All the other colors besides silvers have been created through selective breeding so without knowing the genetic makeup of the parent, you can't accurately determin what they will produce. This is why it is best to breed similar types to increase your chances of getting that type.

But as Bob mentioned above, sometimes mixing will yield some interesting fish. I had a mixed a Marble and a Gold because I wanted to create Gold-Marbles but instead, I got the best looking Black angels from this pair. I never would have guessed that outcome. lol So it's all in the genes. The good part is that if you don't like the colors a pair produces, you can always change the partners to see what they produce. More often than not, an experienced fish will breed with a new partner if there are no other options so when trying to "create" a new pair, it's best done in a separate tank so there is no choice.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have any other questions ;)

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom