Angelfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rstampa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of Breeding Angles. However, within a few hours a lot of the eggs turn white. I don't know why so many so quickly. I have a nice flow of water over them. So what is the best way to prevent this from happening. Eggs unsuccessfully hatch.
They're in a 65 gal tank.
Help!!

I have a pair of Breeding Angles. However, within a few hours a lot of the eggs turn white. I don't know why so many so quickly. I have a nice flow of water over them. So what is the best way to prevent this from happening. Eggs unsuccessfully hatch.
They're in a 65 gal tank.
Help!!

If this is the first or first few spawns, it's not unusual for them to be duds. If this is a young pair of fish, the female may be more mature than the male. If you obtained a verified breeding pair, it's not unusual for breeders to sell off old pairs that don't have good spawns anymore.
With all that said, if the fish are in a community tank, it's not unusual for the males to defend the spawning site and not fertilize the eggs in time.

The best way to have a successful spawn is to keep the breeding fish by themselves, keep the foot traffic low by the tank, use sponge filters instead of overflow type filters so that the milt has enough time to fertilize the eggs and don't expect any successful spawns for the first 4-6 tries. ( It sometimes doesn't take that long but it can.) Make sure your water temp is 78-82 degrees, there is no ammonia or nitrite in the water and the nitrate level is as low as possible. Feed high quality proteins as the usual diet but more so 7-10 days before expected spawning.
( This is the formula I've used to produce millions of Angelfish fry. (y))

Hope this helps (y)

my koi angels keep breeding and the eggs hatch. the fry hang around the parents but after several days they get eaten by the parents. do I continue feeding the parents during this time? are they mistaking the fry for food?

my koi angels keep breeding and the eggs hatch. the fry hang around the parents but after several days they get eaten by the parents. do I continue feeding the parents during this time? are they mistaking the fry for food?

Yes, you never stop feeding the parents. You want them to be as strong and healthy as possible so that they can care for their fry.
When feeding them however, you'll want to put the food in away from where the fry are so that they don't confuse the fry as part of the food. (y)

Back
Top Bottom