Angelfish egg issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bones977

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I'm getting quite frustrated, I have had a few batches of angel eggs in my tank the first two I left to nature and since its a community tank they all got eaten, I guess the parents aren't that good.... any ways the last two batches have had issues. I separated the eggs (on the intake from my filter actually) and gave a decent water flow to the third batch, but it started going mouldy I picked off what I could with tweezers and a syringe but they just got to be wigglers then the mould exploded, I saved half a dozen little guys and now have three 2-4 mm fry. The fourth batch was going MUCH better I had most eggs get to wigglers but then again overnight I had like 90% of them mould....

What can I do to stop this?

Pemafix seems to work well for me. The fish do a much better job than any chemical or attempt I've made, but that means Angels that actually raise them rather than lay them for a snack food.

I wish my angels would act like parents. They always eat the eggs, they protect for a while then the dad always eats them. For me the methylene blue is the only thing that works.

Mine have given up on letting the eggs live. They managed to get them to free swimming twice. Both times the female would let them start to swim around, then suck them up and spit them back on the leaf...minus one. Rinse and repeat until there were none left. Since then I've only raised a few batches, it's hard to find room for the little guys and the fish stores down here don't like to take them for some reason.

Methylene blue may stain your tank so make sure it is a grow out tank or one that you don't care about. I have had fungus before on my GBR eggs. I've used Pimafix and that seemed to help. Maybe put an airstone very near to the eggs and make sure there is adequate flow over and near the eggs. Hydrogen Peroxide is also used by some to control fungus. I believe it's 5 ml per 10 gal water after 12 hours. Methylene blue might be worth a try, I know I would if I had bad fungus.

I have a dedicated 10 gal for grow outs so staining isn't an issue. I use an airstone as well as a sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom