Angelfish Eggs.. now what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolenebailey

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Angelfish (which share a tank with 1 x blue acara, 3 angelfish, 5 silver dollars, 2 x rosybarbs) have just laid eggs! This is their first spawn.
They are chasing away the other fish but i am sure the tankmates will eat the eggs or fry. Ive got spare tanks etc. Can i move the eggs without the parents to a smaller tank?
(i do have a grow out tank aswell, which have Bristlenoses in atm)

What ever you decide to do, do NOT expose those eggs to air. There's ton of info and videos on angelfish breeding on Google and Youtube. Everyone does it a little different, so based on what extra equipment you have, you should be able to successfully hatch them eggs! Good luck

You can pull the eggs if you want and hatch them out yourself. There are no issues with the eggs being briefly being exposed to air.

I have heard if you sink a clean gallon jar in your tank, then place the object with the eggs on it in the jar while still underwater, you can avoid shocking the eggs by exposure to air and changes in water quality and temperature. And you can hatch them in the jar with light aeration from an air stone and a heat source. I have also heard of people then adding methylene blue so the eggs don't get attacked by fungus. I never tried this when I had angels but it seems like a good method to me. I believe methylene blue will kill your plants though if that's what they laid on.

Methylene blue, malachite green, formalin, and hydrogen peroxide can all be used to combat fungus when artificially hatching out eggs. Fungus won't attack viable eggs, but it will grow in and around unfertilized ones making it much more difficult for the wigglers to get out and they often become entangled and die as a result. I recommend methylene blue as an anti fungal.

I am currently breeding solely angelfish, and I do both parent-raised and artificial hatching depending on the situation. You can expose angelfish eggs to the air for a short period of time, like to transfer from one tank to the other, without harming them. I do it all the time. It should go without saying to do the transfer carefully. Methylene blue is excellent to prevent fungus, but it also stains everything it comes in contact with, so I hate using it. I prefer other fungicides in the market - there are some commercially available specifically for egg hatching. Steady, medium flow aeration is also essential for a successful hatch. Artificial hatching is not all that difficult, so don't be afraid to do it if you are dealing with egg eating parents.

Hi all. Thanks for the info, the eggs were eaten overnight but am now more prepared and have a tank set up waiting for more eggs, which Is happening now!! The only thing I didnt prepare for was the fungus. I do have a white spot remedy which has in it 37mg of formaldehyde and .32mg malachite green. I'm thinking that that won't work.. How much peroxide would I need in a 10litre tank an how often. Thanks

Jolene, you and I are in the exact same situation. It's been 9 days since my angels laid their first eggs (which they also ate overnight), they are in a 29g tank of their own now (with 5 BN juvies) and are showing cleaning behavior again. Fingers crossed I get eggs within 48hrs :)

FwA said:
Jolene, you and I are in the exact same situation. It's been 9 days since my angels laid their first eggs (which they also ate overnight), they are in a 29g tank of their own now (with 5 BN juvies) and are showing cleaning behavior again. Fingers crossed I get eggs within 48hrs :)

Cool, good luck . Half of my eggs have gone white:( oh well, it's only their second lay , so hopeful that things will improve

keep up the good work. i raise them also. i have 3 pair that lay eggs every 8 days. new parents will eat a few batches of eggs . till they get it right. i wait till about 1 hour after they are layed . pull them out .put them in a 10 gal with meth blue and a small waterpump and a spong filter. all my babys grow up great. if the eggs turn white the eggs did not get firtilized

Back
Top Bottom