Angelfish Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing you can do so its easier for them to lay & fertilize the eggs and reasonable price wise is get yourself a couple 12" - 15" lengths of pvc pipe. Personally I use the white at least 1" in diameter but I use the 1-1/2" diameter and place it at an angle in one of the corners of the tank away from the filtration. And if at some point you decide to try and artificially hatch the eggs this makes things easier getting them out of the tank

I know a lot of people use slate tiles that around 12-15. Imo I wouldnt use the white pvc The eggs would blend in with the pipe to much and the parents wouldnt be about to see the eggs. It probably works but I think it would work better if it was darker in color.

Yea I plan to get something better for them to lay on. Try prefer black objects by the look of it as I had bits of under gravel filter pipe in there but they were clear so no go.
And in a streak of luck I can see two of my juvenile angels starting to pair up in my communal tank. So maybe 2 egg laying pairs soon. :) at least I'll learn fast. Now to setup another tank... Lol

Craigslist shopping starts now haha. My LFS breeds angels and they have around 10 tanks that just have angels. All sizes too. I love going in every week or so to see how much the little fry have grown.

That's pretty cool. Wish my LFS was more exciting, they do however wanna buy the babies from me if they survive, as they have trouble transporting them and keeping them alive with their current supplier. So mine are already sold if I can get any as i must be one of few, if not the only one doing it in my town. Hahaha

Ya one of my LFS has a room with probably close to 50 tanks. I love going in and just standing and watching the fish. I got to watch my fish guppy drop there. And theres where I got my first 4 guppies 2F-2M and one fry. I told the lady I wanted to get in to breeding and she just smiled and said alright then let me see. she picked out to females there would be dropping soon. 6 days in my tank and I had 20+ fry. She also gave me java moss and some others plants for my tank all for free. You wouldnt get that at a big name place

How many times have they spawned? There are alot of white eggs in the second pic. how old are your angels? You could use anything for them to spawn on. Ive used PVC and now use slate. I've even heard of a guy using a cd case he suction cupped to the glass. As long as its removable and smooth, it will work.

Mine are about the same age. I hop your male is doing his part. My male seems to be just getting what he is supposed to do. The spawned about 8 times so far and no babies. I'm trying to get another pair but the others are babies themselves.

This is what's left 32hrs after the spawn.
Will the white eggs take over completely or will I still get some wrigglers?
As u can see my female has been busy eating dead eggs, just not fast enough I think :(

Attachments

• image-3609647778.jpg
    image-3609647778.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 59
White is my male. Black is female.
(Male missing fins when I bought him, was in a tank with other larger cichlids at LFS. He never grew them back)
I took photos when they had their tubes down. They are HDR so zoom in :)

Attachments

• image-2504045164.jpg
    image-2504045164.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2386553660.jpg
    image-2386553660.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 49
Oh and the female challenged another of my males before these two 'officially' paired up. So I'm 99% sure I have a pair here. Here's the poor little guy that lost his love to another. Lol

Attachments

• image-2809005045.jpg
    image-2809005045.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2266561921.jpg
    image-2266561921.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53
The females gets twice as large and goes flat at the bottom, males stays like that. Small and pointy

Just woke up.
These are the eggs now after 40hrs

Attachments

• image-4160311159.jpg
    image-4160311159.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 63
TBH I think you're overthinking things. They manage to breed perfectly well in the wild obviously, they don't need a baby sitter. It might just take them a few goes to get it right but chances are they'll figure it out.

I've successfully bred angels a few times. I never bother to check water parameters, I just have them in a well established tank and get the other occupants out of there. A big water change triggered the mating, angels laid their eggs on a big leaf (though what you have there looks fine), and you'll want gentle water flow and nowhere for the fry to get stuck/lost. For example, rocky substrate with gaps can cause them to swim down into there and get lost/stuck.

From your pics it just looks like they were not fertilized properly. Just continue to give them the right conditions and they'll figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom