Angelfish sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone tell me if possible what sex these angel fish are? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392854394.029692.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392854485.098334.jpg

It is quite hard to sex angels.. i think it comes down to wait to c if they pair and spawn.. although an angel expert maybe able to tell u

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are definitely either Male or Female. LOL :lol:
But seriously, sexing Angelfish is not an easy task, especially with smaller fish. The 2 in your pics appear to be small fish so pretty much anything short of DNA testing would be a 50/50 guess.

Angelfish become sexually mature at about 8 months old. By then they are usually about the size of an American half dollar coin. It really makes no sense (IMO) to even think about sexing them until that point. There are some distinguishing characteristics when they get larger that may help. In some domesticated varieties, Males will grow a hump like growth on their heads while a female's head will remain smooth. Males should also grow larger than Females. In wild specimens, I use the position and angle of the anal fin as a guide. With trained eyes, you CAN see a difference in this fin even tho the difference is minute.

These 2 are pretty looking fish so I would suggest you just enjoy them for now and post another pic when they are larger to try and sex them then.

Hope this helps (y)

Yea I knew they were to small to sex, I was just hoping someone could do it. But thanks guys!

In my opinion the black and white is male, and the pale cream is female.

Back
Top Bottom