Angelfish spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkozak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a community tank with an angelfish pair, they have spawned before and the eggs never really grew before they ate them the got tails before they ate them and I was wondering how you could artificially hatch them any advice is appreciated thank you

You need to be able to remove the eggs.Hopefully they are on something you can take out of tank.
Any container that fits eggs with a drop or 2 of methylene blue and an airstone.
Eggs become wigglers in 3-4 days I think and then become free swimmers in another 2-3 days.
When the eggs become wigglers remove the MB with carbon or I change water and remove what ever the eggs were on.

You are really looking for Andy Sager and his angel fish threads for the real deal on angels!

You need to be able to remove the eggs.Hopefully they are on something you can take out of tank.
Any container that fits eggs with a drop or 2 of methylene blue and an airstone.
Eggs become wigglers in 3-4 days I think and then become free swimmers in another 2-3 days.
When the eggs become wigglers remove the MB with carbon or I change water and remove what ever the eggs were on.

You are really looking for Andy Sager and his angel fish threads for the real deal on angels!

Thank you very much I have a large breeder trap type thing that has an insert that comes out to be a square box that has holes in the bottom to allow the tank water into the box would that work to take the eggs from the parents? I would put a bubbler stone in it to keep constant air flow on the eggs would this work or shouldni keep them with tje parents?

And this is there 2nd spawn and I've read that it takes time for them to become good parents and really raise the fry themselves but I just really want some babies :) thank you

I am the bandit!:cool:
I steal eggs and raise fry!:dance:
The trap will not separate the fry from the tank water.
IMO to use the MB you need them to be in their own container with their own water and airstone.The MB keeps the eggs from going to fungus.
A Tupperware container or glass jar can work , and if you float it in tank then you will not need another heater...:brows:
I have had angels raise fry so far but never completely...Even with only two breeding pairs in a planted 120g!:nono:
Most won't when other fish are in the same tank IMO? They will eat their fry before the others do[fish logic???]!:facepalm:

I am the bandit!:cool:
I steal eggs and raise fry!:dance:
The trap will not separate the fry from the tank water.
IMO to use the MB you need them to be in their own container with their own water and airstone.The MB keeps the eggs from going to fungus.
A Tupperware container or glass jar can work , and if you float it in tank then you will not need another heater...:brows:
I have had angels raise fry so far but never completely...Even with only two breeding pairs in a planted 120g!:nono:
Most won't when other fish are in the same tank IMO? They will eat their fry before the others do[fish logic???]!:facepalm:

Thank you!! I will definitely do that I have some extra Mason jars so it will work perfect! And I might be able to get my hands on a grow out tank for when they become free swimming and is MB expensive and where can I get it?

Instead of methylene blue and H2O2 you can also use Jungle Fungus Clear tabs. !/2 tab per gallon. I get mine at Walmart but any LFS will have them too. Trying to let the parents raise young in a community tank is pretty much a lost cause. Either they will eat them or everybody else will.

I suggest you read through this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

This was an ongoing discussion by both hobbyist and pro Angelfish breeders all about how to breed and raise Angelfish. It's a long thread because there is a lot of information in it and well worth the read through. Pretty much everything you need to know was discussed on that thread.

Hope this helps. (y)

So last night my angels spawned and I left the eggs with the parents for 24 hours and this afternoon I moved them into my hatching/ grow out tank and I'm not sure what to do now or if I even have to do anything

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_173305315.jpg
    IMG_20161128_173305315.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 47
As others have said, remove the eggs and put in separate container with meth blue. In 5 days they will be wiggles and 5 days after that free swimming. Then feed them baby brine shrimp and do a 25 percent water change everyday. Easy to do.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Back
Top Bottom