Angels laying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
My angels just lay eggs like an hour ago.
How long do I left the eggs in the tank, before I try to move them to a QT tank..... I noticed the male making several passes on top of the eggs already, the angels are in a community tank 100G tank, I noticed also other fish getting anxious about the eggs.

After loke 3 hours, I removed the eggs and transferred to a 10 G tank....

Now any suggestion what can I do next? Just wait? The tank is at 80 degrees with a fully cycled AquaClear filter, no substrate, no airstone, no inhabitants , just the eggs which were lay by the Angel in a PVC pipe, so I moved the pipe.....

When I hatch angel eggs I use no filter and dose the water with methylene blue (which will killl the filter) to prevent fungus. An airstone near the eggs keeps water flowing over them, and at 80F they hatch in about 3 days, and are free swimming at about day 10, when you need to have live food ready, preferably newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Microworms can be used as a substitute but in my experience aren't quite as good, although they are easier and have some advantages such as they live longer in the tank.
For sure I would not use an AC filter or power filter of any kind on a hatching tank. A sponge filter is the best bet but isn't necessary until after the fry are swimming and eating.
The day the eggs hatch I do an 80% water change to start reducing the methylene blue in the water, and continue daily. I also use a smaller, 2.5 gal tank for hatching.

BillD said:
When I hatch angel eggs I use no filter and dose the water with methylene blue (which will killl the filter) to prevent fungus. An airstone near the eggs keeps water flowing over them, and at 80F they hatch in about 3 days, and are free swimming at about day 10, when you need to have live food ready, preferably newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Microworms can be used as a substitute but in my experience aren't quite as good, although they are easier and have some advantages such as they live longer in the tank.
For sure I would not use an AC filter or power filter of any kind on a hatching tank. A sponge filter is the best bet but isn't necessary until after the fry are swimming and eating.
The day the eggs hatch I do an 80% water change to start reducing the methylene blue in the water, and continue daily. I also use a smaller, 2.5 gal tank for hatching.

Thanks, sorry if i ask you more questions,
where do you buy the methylene blue? How much do you dose? Where do you buy baby brine shrimp? Can I use baby brine shrimp frozen?

Methylene Blue should be available at most LFS, and I use enough that I can barely see the eggs. It will stain the silicone in the tank, but can be removed with bleach. Some people use hydrogen peroxide, with great success, but I have no experience with it. If you want to utilize a 10 gallon tank, I would get a 1 gallon jar and place it in the tank as the actual hatching vessel. Heat the tank and use an air stone to keep the water moving past the eggs. This will allow you to use less MB, and prevent staining in the tank. The day the eggs hatch, change 80% of the water using dechlorintaed water of the same temp. Each day do the same and by the time they are free swimming, the water should be pretty much clear. when the fry are free swimming, you can start feeding them in the container which keeps the fry and food close together. When the fry are feeding well, after a few days, you can tip the container into the main tank, and continue from there. I have only used freshly hatched BBS, but others have reported success with frozen, using pearls,or decpsulated brine shrimp cysts. I would choose live microworms, which are easy to culture over those foods. Normally you can buy at least small containers of brine shrimp cysts from the LFS, and hatch them out. This is easily done using an inverted 2 liter soda bottle (which can be floated in your 10 gallon), and air line. If feeding BBS you want to feed them to the fry as soon after they hatch as possible, as that is when their food value is highest. Essentially, you are feeding your fry the BBS yolk sacks, and the BBS are the delivery system.
I wouldn't use any type of mechanical filter such as HOB as the fry will get sucked in. Putting a prefilter over the inlet will help with that, but to me, a sponge filter is a simpler economical solution.
Do not be afraid to ask questions; that is the point of these forums.

Thanks

Thanks Bill, this is great information... this is the first time that I'm trying to hatch the eggs of the Angels...
I already saw some fungus in some eggs.... I will add the methylene blue, the jar, I'm buying some baby shrimp from a lfs , and lets see what happens, something for sure is that I will be more ready next time....

I removed the filter, added the bubbles this morning....:)

Methylene Blue should be available at most LFS, and I use enough that I can barely see the eggs. It will stain the silicone in the tank, but can be removed with bleach. Some people use hydrogen peroxide, with great success, but I have no experience with it. If you want to utilize a 10 gallon tank, I would get a 1 gallon jar and place it in the tank as the actual hatching vessel. Heat the tank and use an air stone to keep the water moving past the eggs. This will allow you to use less MB, and prevent staining in the tank. The day the eggs hatch, change 80% of the water using dechlorintaed water of the same temp. Each day do the same and by the time they are free swimming, the water should be pretty much clear. when the fry are free swimming, you can start feeding them in the container which keeps the fry and food close together. When the fry are feeding well, after a few days, you can tip the container into the main tank, and continue from there. I have only used freshly hatched BBS, but others have reported success with frozen, using pearls,or decpsulated brine shrimp cysts. I would choose live microworms, which are easy to culture over those foods. Normally you can buy at least small containers of brine shrimp cysts from the LFS, and hatch them out. This is easily done using an inverted 2 liter soda bottle (which can be floated in your 10 gallon), and air line. If feeding BBS you want to feed them to the fry as soon after they hatch as possible, as that is when their food value is highest. Essentially, you are feeding your fry the BBS yolk sacks, and the BBS are the delivery system.
I wouldn't use any type of mechanical filter such as HOB as the fry will get sucked in. Putting a prefilter over the inlet will help with that, but to me, a sponge filter is a simpler economical solution.
Do not be afraid to ask questions; that is the point of these forums.
The first batch of eggs did not make it... But a second pair of Angels layed eggs three days ago... I used your suggestions, using a 3 G bowl tank with Methylene Blue, heater, air stone, no filter... The eggs hatched today !!! not all, the majority turned white, but I have around 20 micro "eggs with tails" moving in the container....
Can you explained me more what exactly is a sponge filter? Because I just have a HOB AquaClear which I assume that it is going to be too much for them, and they will be sucked.... I'm planning ijn the future, if they survive, to move them to a 10 G tank, When can I add the filter?
If I understood, I need to do a daily PWC, and start feeding like in 10 days??? How do I know when to start the feeding? Also Do I need to remove the eggs that turned white?

The eggs where in a leave of a big sword plant... which I cutted from the main tank and I transferred to the bowl,... Do I remove now the leave?

Thanks for your help

A sponge filter is a good filter for fry and cleans the tank but doesn't suck up the fry. If you are going to use HOB filter cover it with panty hose or nylon. That's all I can answer.

The first batch of eggs did not make it... But a second pair of Angels layed eggs three days ago... I used your suggestions, using a 3 G bowl tank with Methylene Blue, heater, air stone, no filter... The eggs hatched today !!! not all, the majority turned white, but I have around 20 micro "eggs with tails" moving in the container....
Can you explained me more what exactly is a sponge filter? Because I just have a HOB AquaClear which I assume that it is going to be too much for them, and they will be sucked.... I'm planning ijn the future, if they survive, to move them to a 10 G tank, When can I add the filter?
If I understood, I need to do a daily PWC, and start feeding like in 10 days??? How do I know when to start the feeding? Also Do I need to remove the eggs that turned white?

The eggs where in a leave of a big sword plant... which I cutted from the main tank and I transferred to the bowl,... Do I remove now the leave?

Thanks for your help
As mentioned, you need to put something over the intake tube of the filter so it doesn't suck fry in. They don't need to be fed until you see them swimming. At that point they need to be fed, it usually takes around 3 days give or take.

And yes I would remove any eggs that turn white. You can remove the leaf if the fry are no longer on it.

Back
Top Bottom