Angels pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 angels. Had them for about 2 months and they are approximately 1 1/2-2 inches not including fins.

I was just wondering if they would pair?
And how i would know if they paired.

I don't know the sex of neither one of them also:/

I have 2 angels. Had them for about 2 months and they are approximately 1 1/2-2 inches not including fins.

I was just wondering if they would pair?
And how i would know if they paired.

I don't know the sex of neither one of them also:/

They might pair off if you provide the right conditions for them to spawn in. They are a little on the small size to be breeding size so you will need to still wait to see. Since angels are a somewhat schooling fish, the fact they they stay together will not mean much. If you have other fish in the tank with them and you see them keeping all the other fish to the opposite side of the tank, THEN you can be almost positive you have a pair. The only way you will know if you have a male and female pair (opposed to 2 females) will be if any of their eggs hatch.

Hope this helps (y)

They might pair off if you provide the right conditions for them to spawn in. They are a little on the small size to be breeding size so you will need to still wait to see. Since angels are a somewhat schooling fish, the fact they they stay together will not mean much. If you have other fish in the tank with them and you see them keeping all the other fish to the opposite side of the tank, THEN you can be almost positive you have a pair. The only way you will know if you have a male and female pair (opposed to 2 females) will be if any of their eggs hatch.

Hope this helps (y)

Okay. Thank you. I'm not interested in breeding, but just wanted to be aware if it was possible I could have a pair, would be pretty cool:)

Only time will let me know. Is there any want to tell the difference between a female or male in angels?

Watching them spawn is the best way. The one laying the eggs will be the female. :D:brows::lol: ( Sorry ;))
As they get bigger, it might be easier to tell. Some males develop a hump shape on their heads but this is not true of all males. Females tend to be noticeably smaller than Males in a pair.
There is a way I use looking at the starting point and angle of the anal fin. This usually works but again, with all the new varieties and poor quality fish on the market, I would only use this on older strains or wild fish.
At this point, you would probably be best to just watch the fish. If they start to lip lock or chase any other fish away from them, they most likely have paired off and can become a handful to deal with in a community tank. Either separating them into another tank or separating them from each other will be your best solution at that point. For now, I'd just enjoy watching them as they grow :D (y)

Watching them spawn is the best way. The one laying the eggs will be the female. :D:brows::lol: ( Sorry ;))
As they get bigger, it might be easier to tell. Some males develop a hump shape on their heads but this is not true of all males. Females tend to be noticeably smaller than Males in a pair.
There is a way I use looking at the starting point and angle of the anal fin. This usually works but again, with all the new varieties and poor quality fish on the market, I would only use this on older strains or wild fish.
At this point, you would probably be best to just watch the fish. If they start to lip lock or chase any other fish away from them, they most likely have paired off and can become a handful to deal with in a community tank. Either separating them into another tank or separating them from each other will be your best solution at that point. For now, I'd just enjoy watching them as they grow :D (y)

Haha okay. Thank you for a lot of information.

It'd be nice to have them pair but I don't want them attacking/shooing off the other fish in my tank.

We will just wait and see.

Thank you again. I've had them for almost 3 months now. And one looks a lot bigger while the other just stays the same size.

Back
Top Bottom