Angels Spawned in Community 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, my angels apparently paired and have laid eggs on the tanks wall. I've never kept angels before, let alone tried to breed them. Any ideas or suggestions on what should be done?

Thanks!

I'd love to try to keep some of them. I've always been interested in breeding and seeing where it could go!

Depending on what type of fish you have in tank, they most likely won't last till they hatch or free swim, I would suggest try to scrape some off wall and hatch yourself by putting in a breeder net with bubbler right under neath

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stocked with an albino bristlenose pleco (super small), a rainbow shark (3 in), dwarf Gaurami, 3 female sword/Molly and then the pair! Lightly planted tank currently.

As of this morning, about 50% of the eggs have turned white which I understand is a fungus because they aren't fertile?

Yeah they are dead eggs the parents should eat them off, the pleco might eat the eggs.

Yepp, all the eggs are gone. Is there anything I should do to help the process or make them more successful?

Either move them to their own tank to breed of removed the eggs :)

Two things you can do.

1. Put them into their own tank.
2. Put in a divider and isolate them.

One other thing you could try, put a spawning slate in there and when they spawn on the slate, remove it and raise them yourself. Chances of a successful spawn in a community tank are practically nil.

I think the slate is going to be the way to go with my current space restrictions!

I just take the slate out and put it over a light bubbler correct?

Put the slate in a container where you can maintain the temperature. I Use a gallon jar in a ten gallon tank. The air should be strong enough to get a good circulation in the container, not necessary that it touch the eggs.

Use anti fungus, Meth. blue, Jungle Fungus Clear, or Hydrogen Peroxide. When they hatch (day 3) turn down the air so it doesn't blow them around and remove the anti-fungal.

Change water every day with same temp water. When they go free swimming (day 9 at 78F.) start feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp, no other food will do.

A 20 High is OK for a pair of Angels, but a 29 gallon is better. Anything bigger would be fine too.

Sounds good! I think for now I'm just going to have to let them stay in the community tank due to funds and everything. Does it cause them any stress or anything to keep unsuccessfully reproducing?

My angles would defend the eggs day and night..in my opinion they were stressed as well as the tank mates that were not aloud to feed or even come close to the surface for of they did the male angle would aggressively attack them..I eventually moved the angles to a 29 gallon by themselves

After a number of generations, inbreeding is destructive to all fish species. More "faults" start to show the further along you go. That said, all new color forms of fish start with inbreeding. So when done selectively with the addition of new blood at times, it's not a problem.

IMG_4654.JPG

Lucky for me, I went to the LFS today and left being able to take this entire system home with me for free :) should provide ample space for the breeding angels and grow out tanks!!

Back
Top Bottom