Anglefish breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossi94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so I got a pair of anglefish that first spawned in a community about 2-3 times before I tried separating the tank from the others. I usually had time to watch them take care of the eggs for two or three days to find all the eggs where gone. So about on the 6th spawn I noticed that the female ate all the fertile eggs and left the non fertile ones. After this I got a 29 setup for them to spawn, after a few water changes and about 2 weeks they finally spawn in the spawning tank. I covered the front of the tank to avoid them seeing me walk up. But on the second night they ate the eggs. I don't know if I spooked them when I turned the lights off but my question is. Do I give up on trying to get them to raise the fry? Or should I pull the eggs? Thanks

Ps I have a 1 gallon tank and 10 gal not in user

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright so I got a pair of anglefish that first spawned in a community about 2-3 times before I tried separating the tank from the others. I usually had time to watch them take care of the eggs for two or three days to find all the eggs where gone. So about on the 6th spawn I noticed that the female ate all the fertile eggs and left the non fertile ones. After this I got a 29 setup for them to spawn, after a few water changes and about 2 weeks they finally spawn in the spawning tank. I covered the front of the tank to avoid them seeing me walk up. But on the second night they ate the eggs. I don't know if I spooked them when I turned the lights off but my question is. Do I give up on trying to get them to raise the fry? Or should I pull the eggs? Thanks

Ps I have a 1 gallon tank and 10 gal not in user

If you haven't had any eggs hatch yet, I'd pull a spawn as soon as possible to see if you get any eggs to hatch. If you don't, that could be why they are constantly eating them.
If you do get hatch, you then need to either deal with the possibilities of why they ate them or just continue to pull spawns. Not all Angels become great parents so you have to decide just how many spawns you are willing to lose.

Usually, if the eggs last a couple days before getting eaten, the issue is that the fish get scared and eat the eggs to protect them. I know, sounds backwards, but it happens with other animals too. :facepalm: In this case, I'd try to put the pair in an area that get's the least amount of foot traffic and see if that stops the eating. Also, put the light on a timer so they get used to it going on and off at certain intervals so they don;t get spooked by it.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks! I'll try pulling one and see how that goes!

Back
Top Bottom