Another guppy pregnancy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a female red lace snakeskin guppy in from Pete Mang a couple weeks ago and since I got her she's been boxed up and looking like she's ready to drop any minute. I'm starting to worry now, 2 weeks of being this big isn't normal, is it?
I don't think that she has miscarried or aborted because she's still just as big as she was when I got her 2+ weeks ago, but she also hasn't dropped yet, so am I just being paranoid or do I have reasonable cause for my paranoia?

She's the last one of this strain so I've been keeping her separated until she drops and shows that she's gravid again. At first I had her in her own 2.5 with the lights off for a few days, then started turning the lights on and doing cool water changes after I realized that lights off wasn't helping. After a week of the 2.5 I moved her into a very large breeder net, probably 1.5 gallons in size, into one of my other guppies tank with a bunch of plants to keep her comfortable. She had about 5 days of that without dropping so I moved her into a bucket with a bunch of plants and heaters. I figured the opaque sides of the bucket would help her feel more secure and the floating plants would help as well, but still no drop. Still performing the cool water changes every 2 days, about 30% with water about 4-6* cooler.

I know that I have been moving her around a lot so I'm trying to cut back on it, but I just don't understand why she is being so stubborn. She's not constipated and is eating well so I know it's not bloat, even tried a pea and Epsom to triple check one day.

Its just weird to me. I've heard of guppies being boxed for 5-7 days before, but never 2 weeks+

These pictures were taken a few days after I got her, she's even a bit bigger now

Attachments

• image-2465012457.jpg
    image-2465012457.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2205497909.jpg
    image-2205497909.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 89
Got some pictures from tonight

Attachments

• image-3285720314.jpg
    image-3285720314.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3534160743.jpg
    image-3534160743.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-76552090.jpg
    image-76552090.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
Don't feed her for 2-3 days. She looks bloated and should go down somewhat. You may have a problem as she may be bloated or her vent may be blocked.

Oh wow!!! My guppies that have looked like that I have put in a breeding box and have given birth within 2 days!! She looks totally ready!!!
Maybe take her down go ur LFS and get to look at her it's totally unfortunate that fish can't talk hey.... She looks like I did when I was overdue with my son, basically ready to explode: just put her in a breeding box surely she will give birth In the next day or so... Good luck xxx

She ended up dropping the night after I posted this.

She was kept by herself in her own tank the entire time I had her up until a few days before she dropped when I threw her into my female tank because I figured she wouldn't drop by herself. I have only been able to find and save 4 fry, but there are a few more in the tank. Hopefully I'll get some males from this.

Back
Top Bottom