Anyone ever keep any half banded loaches??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteffeyJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I got a little crew of half banded loaches from my LFS about a month ago...
But am having a hard time finding much info online about them about breeding...
Has anyone kept them before?
Or have any info on breeding them?
I am guessing they lay eggs??
I have one in the group that has a MUCH MUCH larger belly than the rest... so any info would be of great help! Thank you!!

Hello,
I got a little crew of half banded loaches from my LFS about a month ago...
But am having a hard time finding much info online about them about breeding...
Has anyone kept them before?
Or have any info on breeding them?
I am guessing they lay eggs??
I have one in the group that has a MUCH MUCH larger belly than the rest... so any info would be of great help! Thank you!!

:flowers: It's me again! I have about 7 of the little cuties.

TMaier member keeps a bunch too.

Never seen anything about them breeding... now I am gonna have to look it up. Feel like I have looked before and not seen any common stories of them breeding for the regular hobby fish keeper. That would be so interesting though!!! Now I also am inclined to want to see pics of their babies!!!

There are females which is probably the bigger belly wider one. And some just get a little round with a plentiful diet. I would suggest watching "her" to make sure she acts alright.

Hopefully someone has more experience in the answer to your question.

She has recently 'disappeared'
I have 4 of them. And I can find the other the at feeding time quite easily.. and she usually came out too. But this is the second day that I have not seen her.. i do have LOTS of hiding places.. i am guessing they would lay eggs? And not sure if she would eat her own like some fish do.. but I REALLY hope not. It would be AMAZING to see some babies soon! But considering I've never seen or heard of it ever happening before, I think it is unlikely.. she was quite larger when I got her. And her belly just kept growing! And she was always the most ravenous at feeding time... i am hoping I'll see her soon. And I'll have to update you on if she is thinner or not lol.
Thanks for the help! Again! :)

Also, my half banded loaches dont look like most of the pictures of them I have seen...
I am wondering if my LFS mislabeled them!
I'll attach a pic of one of them. This is another female. The one in question was much larger in the belly than this one even. And zero signs of worms or anything like that.. so not really sure what they are or what to expect!

Attachments

• Loach1.jpg
    Loach1.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 21
Although not the exact same, I have had Kuhli Loaches disappear for months... (like 6 or 8 one time) Only to see them pop out of a decoration or from under a rock while cleaning.

And the info says unrecorded breeding for these guys. Although I have seen some pics of various baby Loaches. Anything is possible. I have an aquarium hobby friend who can breed anything and he takes special care for species only tanks while he gets the breeding details worked out. And ideally it takes replicating the natural habitat and water conditions, including simulating the rainy season, TDS, temperatures and pH etc.

I honestly dont think that they are really half banded loaches, but whatever they are, they seem happy! I see them much much more often than my black kuhli's, those ones disappear for days or weeks, like you said yours did! But these guys, whatever they are, I usually see all of them at some point within a day or maybe 2
Especially if i feed bloodworms lol.
My fish are so weird honestly!!
That one single garra that I've mentioned, loves to 'play' in the outflow of my filter!! She will swim against the current a bit, gliding all around, and then almost jumps up into the water outflow and let's it splash her and then goes back down, only to do it again like 5 times!! I honestly increased the output once I saw how much she was playing in it. And it only made her play in it more! And she will get my panda cory cats going along with her too!! Theyll follow her up and down, but they don't 'jump' or anything like she does! Luckily I have everything pretty well secure and safe so I dont accidentally lose her on one of these 'adventures!'
I always wonder if the water is off, but it always tests just fine and I finally realized that she just enjoys it! Lol! Fish can be very very amusing!! And have their own personalities! Just like cats or dogs! Lol. I love it!
I just wish I knew for certain what the other fish were! Lol.

After looking at the page you sent, I guess they are half banded loaches!! They just dont really have 'bands' only one of them does, really!
But most everything else looks similar!!
Those pics on the attached webpage look the closest I've seen!! Most on google look nothing like them!! Lol.
Thank you so much!!! :)

Even on the page, the first pic looks very 'plump' in the belly!! Just like mine does!!
So glad to know that really is what they are! Lol.
Guess their color is just a little off with no banding on them.. maybe that's why they were the last ones left at my LFS lol.
I love them anyways!

It could be some off patterns. Likely their care is pretty much the same anyhow. So if they seem happy and you love them it sounds perfect.

Heads up if maybe they eat snails or baby shrimp, if those are in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom