Anyone know secret to raising bosemani rainbow fish fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vllx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it looks like i have about 40-50 bosemani rainbow fish fry in my 16 gallon tank now. they seem to be doing good, and it seems like im seeing more n more each day. i have no idea where they are coming from because i can't see any eggs anywhere, because they're so small. the fry themselves are extremely small.
I hear that rainbow fish fry are very delicate and extremely hard to raise because they are so small. they look like they're 1/10 the size of cichlid fry. They seem to be doing good in the tank because theres lots of micro organisms in there for them to eat. I dunno if they are eating it, but they've been alive for 4-5 days now. they can't eat baby brine shrimp because they're about the same size as the shrimp..so have any one here had any experience with raising these fish..from eggs?
Thanks.

Hi,
Get some micro worms or Banana worms or Walter worm cultures, they will love them and they are small enough for them to eat.
Yes they are very hard at first to keep alive. Feed them a couple times a day if you can.
Rainbows are mop spawners, so any thing you have that is similar, is where they are spawning. Plants ect.
The eggs are clear and hard to see sometimes.
They will take baby brine as soon as they can fit it in their mouth.
They are truly one of the hardest fry to do, so have fun.
Hope this helps
Jay

they didn't seem like they were eating anything. i went to the local pet store and one of the rep told me to buy a betta fry micro food, brought it home and it was still too big for the fry to eat. but they have been surviving for 2 weeks now through infurosia and w/e else was in the tank they were eating. i can never seem them eat cause they're so small but at least today they are able to finally start eating some baby brine shrimp.
i took out 7 fry, along with their old tank water, and placed them in a small betta bowl to observe if they were eating. threw in some newly hatched baby brine shrimsp. i can see them trying to nimble on one every now and then, but ive noticed that the 7 ive placed in the betta bowl have fat, dark, round bellies now. the ones in the tank don't seem to be eating the brine shrimp as much, if at all. their stomachs aren't as big. and they're very transparent compared to the ones in the bowl.
im thinking about trying to take all of the frys in the tank and placing them in smaller betta jars with no gravel, hoping that it'd be easier for them to find the baby brine shrimp and eat it.

It is better if they don't have to search to hard to find their food.
Moving them is probably the best bet.
This is the most fun and trying part of raising them, but when you succeed you really feel like you accomplished something.
Have fun
jay

yea i went to the dollar store and bought 11 bowls, pretty good deal! compared to paying $3-$4 dollars for the same bowl at other stores. i slowly took all of them (at least i think thats all of them :D). out and placed 10 in each bowl. turns out i had a total of 119 fry, from just 1 male and 1 female. i know people breed rainbow in groups, but i don't see the point of that if a person don't plan on making money off the fry. a person would jus end up with a few hundred fish later on and not know what to do with it.
but back to what i was saying, they're in the bowls and they're happy. now with them in little groups i can actually keep track of what they're eating and if they're actually eating the stuff i feed them. they're loving those baby brines though.
thanks for the advice and support Jay. :onfire::onfire:

Wow thats a few fry.
Do you have enough grow out tanks?
Also did you put airlines in the bowls? It will helpkeep the oxygen levels up.
Also if you have a SMALL snail you can put in each bowl, it will eat any excess food and help keep the bowl from clouding up.
Good luck and nice job.
Those will sell for good money on Aquabid too if you get to overrun.
If you need any advice on listing them when they are ready, feel free to email me.
Be well
Jay

Wow vllx that is quite a few fry! Good luck with them and keep updating. Post some pics if you can :D

Back
Top Bottom