Apisto Breeding Journal Version 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would definitely be too much to move. Where is she keeping the babies? If they are in some sort of cave move the whole thing, otherwise siphon them out. More often than not I have found that the baster blows the fry around, I would also move the mother with them if at all possible at the same time. Congratulations, You gotta love Cacs!

rwhayley said:
That would definitely be too much to move. Where is she keeping the babies? If they are in some sort of cave move the whole thing, otherwise siphon them out. More often than not I have found that the baster blows the fry around, I would also move the mother with them if at all possible at the same time. Congratulations, You gotta love Cacs!
they are in the dwarf sag at the front left corner of the tank under the powerhead.
img_772593_0_013dfcab148dcccd84483149575b2613.jpg

i did manage to catch 5-6 with the baster and moved them to a breeder net. was not able to corner mom with all the plants. i will keep trying to catch some of the fry, hopefully mom and dad can protect the other fry from the other tank inhabitants :?

That is the reason that I suggested the dividers (because I thought you may have a lot of other fish in there). I would let them be it it were me. I would be too afraid that the siphon might damage them from splashing them around rather harshly.

That is a very odd place for them to raise young, I have never seen anything like it. A smaller number of fry to look after is alot easier to defend.

rwhayley said:
That is a very odd place for them to raise young, I have never seen anything like it. A smaller number of fry to look after is alot easier to defend.
odd yes, but the sag is so thick in that spot that it does create almost a cave. the odd thing is i have read that apistos like to spawn in low flow areas, this is one of the highest flow areas in the tank :?. it could be though that this is the spot that they just moved the fry too, there is a piece of driftwood near by that creates more of a traditional "cave"

I really hope they make it, Cacs get pretty aggressive when defending fry. I had to remove my male when he turned on the female to keep her from the fry. So survival may not be an issue.

rwhayley said:
So when can we see pics?
of the baby cacs??

they are way to small to get good pics.

i did pick up a 5 gallon tank, just going to run it bare bottom with a spong filter and a heater, will transfer the babys in the breeder net to that once i get the temp right and the tank is "quick cycled" with filter media from another tank

rwhayley said:
Do you have any idea of how old they might be?
well as far as i can tell none of the baby cacs have made it... none of the ones i siphoned out made it and i have not seen any swimming with the parents :(.

and as for the pandas i may have to separate them, as the male is starting to show aggression towards the female :(

rwhayley said:
Wow, bum luck! Are you gonna try moving the pandas to the community and moving the cacs to the smaller tank?
i am considering it...but that is easier said then done :?.

it would be easy enough to get the pandas out of the 10 gallon, but getting the cacs out of the 75, with out taking out most of this...
img_778958_0_5aa3fd082b1e51d8f0c225acc296f22b.jpg

would be a pain in the butt :?

i have been feeding the pandas live glassworms for the last 3 days hoping that they might stimulate some "make love not war" attitude fingers are crossed if still no change in a couple more days i will attempt to swap them with the cacs...

did another 25% pwc on the panda tank with RO tonight

so i though i would post current readings

GH = 7 degrees
KH = 5 degrees
PH = 6.6

i did the pwc tonight as it started to snow this afternoon, hoping that the low pressure plus drop in ph might do something :D

rwhayley said:
Third times a charm.
yell nothing that i have seen yet.

they do seam to be tolerating each other a little more though.

i did catch the female sticking her head out of a cave, (first time i have noticed either even enter a cave) but she did not stay in there long enough to suggest she was tending eggs :?

Hi JDogg Of the nijsseni group of fishes the nijssenii are the most dificult so far from my experience. I have had succesful spawnings of my panduros quite a few times I even got wriglers now. But my nijssenii just dance and play act I still haven't had a spawn from mine yet. I do the rain water, cooler water, the peat in filter, the RO water, raising lowering temp, fed them everything under sun from live to freeze dryied and still nothing. So don't feel bad they are a dificult species. Here are pics of mine

Curtis

img_782198_0_6792f653c44686db3894f42cb5bd83b6.jpg

img_782198_1_8fffb00bd987e938945230d48b0bbda6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom