Apisto cacatuoides breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suggest a bare tank with short sections of pvc pipe at 3/4"-1" in diameter I found is best for observation and cleaning, but it is up to your preference

I need to set up a spawning tank. The original female spawned again, in the area she was looking after the last batch. She has about 5 that were 2 weeks free swimming. I think she chased/killed/ate them before she spawned. I just need to set aside some money to do this.

Your problem with disappearing fry my lie with the male,what other fish are in the tank. I don't think it would be the mother eating them, females viciously defend their young,but will devour them if the nest area is disturbed(thus unfortunately I learned the hard way.) or if the fry are sick or have any mutations that will make survival hard. These are Cacatuoides correct?

Yes they are.

She was protecting them well and chased away everything that came close. I made a mistake with lighting then lost some. But those that survied were growing fast and were easy to find. Then all of a sudden I could not see them and the female was gone (hiding behind driftwood with her spawn). They are wrigglers now. I was wondering if the spawning urge overcame the brood care urge.......

One fish I thought was a sub adult male (due to its size compared to the other females, about double) acutally coloured up as a female. Today she spawned and it is easy access for a pic. So here it is. I am definitely going to have to get more tanks for them.

Attachments

• apisto_spawn_006.jpg
    apisto_spawn_006.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 80
The fry being eaten was then most likely because she spawned again and she saw the older fry as a threat.

I agree too. Fishguy and Steven :mrgreen:

Got some free swimmers now again from Female No 1. Female Number 2 has eggs now and I think that most of Female 3's eggs (pic above) are sterile as they have not become wrigglers yet... We will see.

I promise a breeding tank set up soon. I swear!

Kudos for your persistance! 8)
This is a really cool thread, I read it with a lot of interest!
Keep us posted!

I never had cichlids, but plan on having a pair of these, when my tank
is cycled!

I guess I was wrong about the eggs being sterile. That is a whole mess of fish!

Attachments

• apisto_wrigglers_004.jpg
    apisto_wrigglers_004.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
OK update on water conditions. pH ~ 7.2, dGH ~11, dKH ~ 2.

My nitrate kit ran out and I haven't bothered to get a new one.

All three femles have free swimming fry now! No huge losses to report. The tank mates are getting pushed around a bit luckili there is a lot of space for them.

I'll am still feeding the Sera micron powdered food. Fingers crossed for some adolescent fry this time.

I will try to trade them in at an LFS for some Keyholes, but I never see those around here. I might keep some of the strongest and most colourful as brood stock.

hehehehehe
If you drive down you can get some LOL... If the lil ones grow up. BTW Airfreight will mean that they probably will cost more than if you look out for them at your LFS.

Latest update. Female number one...for lack of a better name has spawned again. She has about 6-8 fry wandering around the tank yesterday, mostly independently and she had stopped protecting them.

One thing that I noticed with 3 lots of free-swimming fry in the tank, is that the females lose track of the fry on the "outer". I think the fry from different females have been mixed and the females were not always caring for just her own batch. As a biologist I find this most interesting. This was evident from the vast different size in fry that were together. ie lager fry in with small fry from a younger batch.

These guys are breeding machines. I would recommend these as a good fish for newbie to cichlids. They are as easy to breed as kribs, but not quite so aggressive. I will add pics of the fry as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom