Apple Snail and RCS Breeding tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have a 15G dedicated to apple snails with a sponge filter and I'd like to hear your guys take on adding in a starter colony of RCS. Do you think either would would have a significant detrimental effect to the other?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snails and cherry type shrimp usually get along fine. But you do have to be sure to watch the water parameters, as the shrimp have far less tolerance for ammonia than the snails do.
If you're feeding the snails, they can allow a fair bit of food to sink into the substrate.. I had this happen recently in my snail tank.. lost a couple of shrimp, when they got caught in bubbles of swamp gas that was coming up from underneath the substrate. It's basically anaerobic bacteria decomposing the left over food, which can generate toxic gas, like hydrogen sulphide.. Just something to watch out for.. otherwise, they need similar water conditions and shrimp will even pick algae or other things off snail shells. The snails don't seem to even notice it.

Thanks for the reply.

The tank is currently bare bottom with only a small layer of gravel to hold down the sponge filter. So, I shouldn't have a problem with trapped food. I'm also trying to avoid packaged fish food and sticking to plants and vegetables. Plus, the added benefit of one or two 50% water changes weekly.

Also, what's your take on leaving the lead plant weights on? Is there a significant danger?

Thanks!

Modern weights aren't lead. They're zinc. I prefer to remove them, as they trap crap and crud and may inhibit the plant's growth, pinching off the stems when they expand.

Good to know lol thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom