Apple Snail Eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today, I looked at my lid and saw nearly 150 eggs in two little clusters. I was amazed because I thaught both of my snails were male, but maybe I was wrong or the snail had some stored sperm from the LFS, who knows maybe it was just luck!

Anyway, i've moved my bubble stream to under the eggs, as they're quite close to the light, and I don't want them to dry out of the bubble splashes should help keep the moist so the little babies can crawl there way out.
If there is anything you think i should do to help some more please post back as i'm really very new to snail rearing.

If you want me to send you some, up to 6 snails post back with your tank information so I can see if your going to be a suitable parent for the little babies :)

I won't charge you anything except the posting and packaging costs, I live in the UK so it might cost a bit. I'll do my best though.

Thanks in advance, wish me luck!

PS. I'll leave some pictures, not very clear but enough to get you interested. Also try www.applesnail.net if you have no idea what i'm talking about or want some extra information on Apple Snails.

Attachments

• picture_078.jpg
    picture_078.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 179
  • picture_070_105.jpg
    picture_070_105.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 176
Heres some pictures of the parents.

Attachments

• picture056.jpg
    picture056.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 167
  • snail2_143.jpg
    snail2_143.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 165
Umm, I am pretty sure that top picture is a ramshorn, which are asexual. It could be the single parent ramshorn who layed all the eggs.

I think the picture is deceiving making the first snail look more narrow than it is. They both look like apple snails to me. Besides, ramshorns lay under the water.

Congrats on the new eggs. Looks like you have two females. They can store sperm and can lay I think up to three clutches. And I belive it tanks three weeks for them to hatch. Of course, I could be remembering wrong so check out applesnail.net.

Thanks, I'll have another look, not entirely sure what to look for, but I know my new little snails will be male and female and will make lots of new little snails!

True. lol And you'll have tons of them. You might not see them at first if you don't catch them coming down into the tank. They will stay in the gravel til they get some size to them. Good luck. :D

Cheers, I hope they hatch, they seem a little dry at the miniute, but it's very humid, so maybe the eggs in the center of the batch will be okay. I'll keep checking them to make sure.

Do you think any of my current large tank inhabitance will eat them if i move them there when they are out of their eggs?

It's ok if they are dry. They should be dry and firm to the touch. That's why they lay above the water line. Don't worry.

Don't know about the shark. Your pleco may become a problem. Mine rasps the shells and causes the shells to become thin and weak creating holes in the shells. This eventually kills the snail.

Now the smallest batch ahs fallen off!!!! Please look in other thread, I don't know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom