are my babies safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added 2 shubukin (sp?) goldfish to an established koi pond w/ 2 koi already present. after adding, i discovered at least 12 baby fish of some kind. will the goldfish eat them?

I do believe that goldfish are the kind of fish that eat pretty much anything that they can fit in their mouths 8O lol

I guess that all depends on how big your koi and shubunkins are, and the size of the babies.

Let us know that, and we might be able to give you an answer on your question. :wink:

the koi are 6-8" but the babies have apparently been in with them for some time. goldfish are 1-2". babies range from almost too small to see to about 1/2"

I'm not all that positive, but keeping the fish well fed will help. Provide some hiding spots for the babies to stay in, perhaps some plant foliage or some rocks for the to get behind or under. Goldfish grow quickly, so they will get big enough fast, don't worry about that.

But, it's hard to say. All depends on the fish I think. Sounds like they have been in there for a little bit of time atleast...

Sorry I can't help you anymore than that.

thanks. there are some cages to keep the koi away from the plants, so hopefully they can hide there. I am not entirely sure the babies are koi babies although this is the most likely scenario. We are surrounded by natural ponds w/native fish and minnows. No runoff can get into the pond, but eggs can be transported by birds, frogs, rain, etc. They have obviously avoided the koi, but I did not know how vicious these shubukins are.

I doubt that these are koi babies because they need a long length to do there vigorous spawning. The one way to tell is to pull out a baby at put it under a microscope or magnifying glass, and look for the koi's telltale sign of barbels.

Back
Top Bottom