Are my mollies squared off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say they are pregnant!

On another note, I love the name you have for you Dalmatian Molly! It gave me a chuckle! :)

Thank you! She's sure acting like it too! Chasing everyone away and being a little dominant bossy one with food. The funny part was when her other batch of fry was born I said, "Theyre a bunch of little white rats.. UGH!" and when they started getting spots. "I see SPOTS!" Just a little fun :brows:

I have a pure white molly in with a male sailfin molly and a orange and black specked Molly does anyone know if a
Non sailfin might cross breed as they are both mollies the orange and black has tried it on but I dunno how can u tell she's pregnant she doesn't seem bothered either way not seeming much fatter but I think my eyes play tricks on me do she might be any ideas ?

I have a pure white molly in with a male sailfin molly and a orange and black specked Molly does anyone know if a
Non sailfin might cross breed as they are both mollies the orange and black has tried it on but I dunno how can u tell she's pregnant she doesn't seem bothered either way not seeming much fatter but I think my eyes play tricks on me do she might be any ideas ?

The "white mollies" are silver mollies. All mollies can cross-breed and most mollies we get at pet stores have diluted genes....which is why some mollies (like my Dalmatian Mollies) have little gold specks or a bluish hue to them... just genes and colors from the past generations coming through. It looks like my Creamsicle Molly bred with a male Dalmatian Molly and some of her orange fry have some spots coming thru. (Hence the orange spotted molly you mentioned) :) Just in time for Halloween tho....
If your female molly is in with a male in your tank (or was in contact with a male at the store.... odds are she was) then she's pregnant... My mollies have their fry every 30 or so days.... they say every 28 days, but mine are holding from 30-36 days.

Ok awesome so I'll guess that she is as she's the only female with two males I also know about recessive and dominant genes as Im an anthropologist for my day job lol but he jus doesn't seem to be getting any bigger which I kinda expected the tanks been running maybe 14 days to three weeks now :s

Ok awesome so I'll guess that she is as she's the only female with two males I also know about recessive and dominant genes as Im an anthropologist for my day job lol but he jus doesn't seem to be getting any bigger which I kinda expected the tanks been running maybe 14 days to three weeks now :s

I don't know how large your tank is, but keep in mind male mollies (as are most live bearers I've discovered) are very persistent little guys... quite rude at times and can pester a female to death. It's best to keep the ratio 1 male to every 3-4 females. My male molly is in with 4 females and he gives them a run for their money sometimes. Until one day my Dalmatian Female (the one you see there pregnant) decided she'd had enough and gave him a few harsh back and forth slaps with her tail... I'd never seen anything like it... He backed off for.... oh, about 15 mins... :rolleyes:
I had 2 male fancy tailed guppies that would constantly fight with each other as well as 2 male platys.... I wound up rehoming the guppies and one of the platys. My remaining platy is very calm and pleasant mannered now that his rival is gone... and to think he was the dominant one. He just happily swims around the tank now, the odd man out with a bunch of mollies :oops:

Ahahah the sunburst/Dalmatian m Molly is a persistent lil bugger but the silver female doesn't seem to bothered but the mail
Sail fin doesn't seem interested in her in the slightest hasnt presented to her or even tried it on which is a shame as an orange and silver sailfin Molly would have looked well nice :) so basically I should get a few more female mollies I have a 20 g tank I think a bit more te people in the shop said about 70 litres

This afternoon her top fin is down and her other fins are pulled close to her body... she's floating as close to the heater as she possibly can.... she goes from there to resting in the colesseum decoration.... COME ONNNN BABIES!! :brows:

:( I was gone for two hours came home and she was lean and there were no babies to be found!! :facepalm: I finally found ONE... soooo sad!!!
I've been able to save 99% of the babies from other births immediately... can't believe I missed it.. but grateful for the one...

That's cool imagine being born in a colosseum that would be epic what do the fry look like can you see then as soon as they are born

Oh man that sucks :( I'm sorry you couldn't save them how have you gone about it before in case I have to save them :S this is my first try breeding

Oh man that sucks :( I'm sorry you couldn't save them how have you gone about it before in case I have to save them :S this is my first try breeding

Well, I'm self employed so I'm not gone from home for long hours at a time. I believe that's the #1 reason I've been able to save such large amounts. My first Molly is there on my profile... I got her from Petsmart with a preggo pouch and she gave birth a week later. I was watching her like a hawk.... kept looking in the tank every hour or so and rushing out in the morning when I'd wake up... Okay yes, I admit, I set my alarm once (or twice :) ) to check in the middle of the night.... She was looking very close so I moved her to her own 10 gallon and kept peeking in there. I figured her in there alone would reduce the stress and save more fry with less mouths to eat them. The next day my 6 yr old son lurched me out of sleep exclaiming, "MOMMYYYY BABIESSSSSS!!!" There were only a few in there and I was fortunate enough to be able to take pictures as well as video of them being born. (Okay, okay.. i ALSO admit squealing once or twice as they dropped out in 3's and 5's at once...) I was able to save all of the babies that time and wound up with 43. They are 6 1/2 wks old now and I have approx 35 that are 1".
My second batch from another mother I was able to save the same way... I saved 35-40ish (this was the same one who had them last night without being so diligent as to ask me first if I was watching! :blink: ) .... last night was the LONE fry who is alive and well this morning in the newborn 10 gallon with my other 11 babies I was able to save 4 days ago.

The key for me really is watching them... A LOT! Yesterday when I made that post that she was hovering, fins down, obviously stressed I should have moved her to the 10 gallon... I was worried that she would eat the other 4 day old babies from another mother... also there was a big chance the fry wouldn't going to be born alive because she held on 40 DAYS... AND i had medicated them for an illness last month, which could have killed the fry or deformed them causing them to be born dead... ::Sigh:: I'm disappointed, but still happy for the one. Granted, my load is lightened... I have 12 fry out of two births as opposed to my expected 80... haha..
When is your mama due?

Back
Top Bottom