Are these eggs fertile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed I have eggs in my cichlid stone! I'm guessing they are my blood parrot eggs! I heard they don't lay fertile eggs? But one of my parrots is part Convict or something. I got her from petsmart! But the other is a real blood parrot! The one in the picture is the one garding them! Is there any possible way these could hatch? Should I remove the stone to another tank? If possible I would like them to hatch and raise them? And is the one watching the eggs the female or male?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426226663410.jpg
    1426226663410.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 120
From your picture (viewed from my phone), the eggs appear white/opaque and fuzzy. This indicates they are not viable and fungus is setting in. Healthy, viable eggs will appear clear/translucent and will develop a dark spot as the embryonic fry mature. If healthy eggs are near eggs that are not viable/fungused, they are at risk of suffering the same fate. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From your picture (viewed from my phone), the eggs appear white/opaque and fuzzy. This indicates they are not viable and fungus is setting in. Healthy, viable eggs will appear clear/translucent and will develop a dark spot as the embryonic fry mature. If healthy eggs are near eggs that are not viable/fungused, they are at risk of suffering the same fate. Hope this helps!

They have laid another clutch of eggs. These look different. Are they fertile?

Are these fertile? ??

Attachments

• 1427959692560.jpg
    1427959692560.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 93
If you want to try and raise the eggs, separate them to another tank and dose with pimafix. It is an antifungal med

If you want to try and raise the eggs, separate them to another tank and dose with pimafix. It is an antifungal med

These two fish do not produce fertile eggs. No matter if you put methylene blue in the tank/hatching area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its extremely rare to have a non sterile blood parrot. The slate color of the stone may be making them look fertile. Are they staying by the eggs and fanning them or did they desert the eggs?

One of the blood parrots is mixed I think it has convict it! But the other is a normal blood parrot . Can this give the eggs a better chance of being fertile?

All blood parrots are mixed hybrids. You will just have to wait and see what happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom