Artificial floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there. I'm still in the cycling process but i've been researching the fish I want and their breeding habits and I'm reading a lot about how the fry love to hide in floating plants for protection. I'm not really interested in getting live plants for this tank so I was just wondering if anyone knows of any type of artificial plant or ways to mimic a hiding place that would serve the same purpose for the fry. And if not, can anyone give some helpers on what else can be done to raise them without losing all of them? Thanks in advance for any help!

Will you be raising livebearers or egglayers?
Any dense plants will do well, and you can easily let them float on the surface. Plastic will float easier than silk, but if you cut the weights off the bottoms, both will provide floating fry cover ☺️

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

I'm really still in the research phase. I haven't had a fish tank in about 15 years and a LOT has changed in the fish world lol. This question was geared towards the likes of livebearers. I wouldn't even know what to do with egglayers lol. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For livebearers, you can use plastic versions of plants that mimic Anacharis, Hornwort or any small leaved dense plants for the fry to hide in. You can detach these from their bottoms so that they will float. You may even want to try to get some of the colored plants that match the colors of the fry you hope to have. This way, they will blend in better with the plants for safety.
Another option is artificial breeding grass ( a.k.a. spawning grass/ spawning mop). These will be long strands of dense material commonly used for some egglayers but should also work for livebearer fry as well.

Hope this helps. (y)

i have one that is great, its an aquascape grass like plant, it can be broken into 3 peces and can float or be submerged, i would recommend getting some live pants, some easy ones need no care at all, and they make the fish want to breed more and gives the mother a nice place to give birth and hide from the sometimes relentless male.

Most fake plastic plants float, these are just a random bunch of fake plants dropped in, they all joined up and made this

Attachments

• 1427495609824.jpg
    1427495609824.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 864
Denser plants provide better cover, but colorful plants will match your tank better so if I were you I'd look for colorful yet dense plants.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom