Artificially Hatching Angelfish (Specimen Container Method)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Fisher

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I saw one of the guys on Amozonias do this in a little write up so I figured I'd give it a shot this go round.

Things needed

1. .5 gallon specimen container

2. Parent aquarium

3. RO/DI water

4. Methelyne blue

5. Airline and pump

Earlier today I set my container with RO water in the parent aquarium and have been waiting for it to reach tank temperature.

0I1CVB2.jpg

I should be up to 78 (tank temp) in another hour or so. I will then place the slate in and drop in the airline and blue.

Two reasons for my trying this method,

1. Space is at a premium currently.

2. Just to see what the hatch and mortality rate will be.

I'll update as things progress

It's not really much different than doing it in any other type receptacle ( remember my glass jars? The were candy jars originally :D). The thing you need to watch for is when the eggs hatch. You will need to add something to the RO/DI water to reconstitute it or there will be no nutrients/ elements in it for the fry to use for development.
Personally, if the previous eggs hatched in your water, that's all I would use no matter what container you hatch them in. My "rainwater" experiment was only with eggs that didn't hatch in my well water.

Keep us posted (y)

Funny you should mention remineralizing (I know that's spelled wrong) the water. I checked it with my TDS meter and what I expected to read 000 came up 057. My tap water is .079 , I'll be siphoning off current water and adding tank water.

Hopefully the little container hatching works well as my wife would kill me over jars everywhere lol. Once they get to free swimming I'll have the previous spawn out of my 10 gallon and in a large grow out tank. I'm finding some method to the madness. I'm ready for spring and shipping lots of happy little fish :fish1:

Any updates?

Yep, the good is we've got wigglers, the bad is there was another fungus attack even with the methylene blue. I added tank water yesterday. I'll for sure be using this method as it's great for my space limitations but I'm wondering how I managed to get fungus this go round

Yep, the good is we've got wigglers, the bad is there was another fungus attack even with the methylene blue. I added tank water yesterday. I'll for sure be using this method as it's great for my space limitations but I'm wondering how I managed to get fungus this go round
My guess is that either the M blue was not strong enough or you used too little. Fungus doesn't bother me really when artificially hatching fry. Most of the time, the eggs were bad anyway. Next time, you may want to raise the air level on the airstone so that more bubbles are moving more water so fungus has a harder time setting in. (y)

My guess is that either the M blue was not strong enough or you used too little. Fungus doesn't bother me really when artificially hatching fry. Most of the time, the eggs were bad anyway. Next time, you may want to raise the air level on the airstone so that more bubbles are moving more water so fungus has a harder time setting in. (y)

Will do :D Should have another spawn to work with in a few weeks. These guys should be free swimming by monday or before, they are doing the whole barely hanging on the slate thing now. I'll see about updating some pictures tomorrow.

Well I woke up to free swimmers this morning. I'd say 90% of the eggs made it to this stage even with the fungus issue. TDS of water in container is 355, 150 or less is the "gold standard" from what I read but I'm having no issues.

So what is the plan for these free swimmers now that they are swimming?

Into the empty 10 gallon that the golds first spawn was in for a few weeks then into a 55 when I sell the ones in there at that time. :cool: I figured out a method to the madness :fish1: at least for the moment.

Future plan is another 10 and 55 to rotate more out. If you want some let me know, no charge for you ;)

Into the empty 10 gallon that the golds first spawn was in for a few weeks then into a 55 when I sell the ones in there at that time. :cool: I figured out a method to the madness :fish1: at least for the moment.

Future plan is another 10 and 55 to rotate more out. If you want some let me know, no charge for you ;)

I guess my question then is: Why not hatch them out in the 10 gal right from the start? That's what I do.......... Saves a move on the fry ;)

Oh, I see. ;) ;) Well if you need tanks.......... :brows:

(y) If my wife could get two days of in a row we would seriously come pick up a few.I believe it's a 6 or 7 hour drive, which is no biggie. I do believe Petco will be having another $1 per gallon in January, I've got several tanks from the last sale that I need to get running. I do believe I'll be using your cinder block stand design.

(y) If my wife could get two days of in a row we would seriously come pick up a few.I believe it's a 6 or 7 hour drive, which is no biggie. I do believe Petco will be having another $1 per gallon in January, I've got several tanks from the last sale that I need to get running. I do believe I'll be using your cinder block stand design.

Just an FYI on the $1.00 / gal tanks: I got Tetra tanks from the last sale and was not happy with the amount of water they held. $1.00/ gal my eye :banghead: The 10 gal barely held 9 gals ( more like 8.5 gals) and the 20 long holds only 16 gal. I used 1 gallon jugs to fill them so I know these amounts are accurate. For how many tanks I bought, I should get a refund or at least a couple other tanks N/C :whistle:

Just an FYI on the $1.00 / gal tanks: I got Tetra tanks from the last sale and was not happy with the amount of water they held. $1.00/ gal my eye :banghead: The 10 gal barely held 9 gals ( more like 8.5 gals) and the 20 long holds only 16 gal. I used 1 gallon jugs to fill them so I know these amounts are accurate. For how many tanks I bought, I should get a refund or at least a couple other tanks N/C :whistle:

I ended up picking up a mix of all glass and marineland tanks from a gentleman on craigslist. I've got a majority of them set up and just in time :fish2:

Gold pair spawned again today. I've also found a possible third LFS to take fish off my hands. Still going to try to ebay/aquabid a majority as I can only use so much store credit.

ZOB00uq.jpg

This is their largest batch yet and too big to fit in a specimen container. I'll let these develop in a 5 gallon. I also broke down and made a spreadsheet to keep track of development. :fish1:

Congrats. Nice problem to have huh? ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if, after you have gotten some store credits for your fish and the store sees how well they sell, that you couldn't also get some cash instead of credit. Or to better your price, ask for 1/2 cash & 1/2 credit each time. Make sure you get paid the higher amount for both. (y)

Congrats. Nice problem to have huh? ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if, after you have gotten some store credits for your fish and the store sees how well they sell, that you couldn't also get some cash instead of credit. Or to better your price, ask for 1/2 cash & 1/2 credit each time. Make sure you get paid the higher amount for both. (y)

Thanks Andy. I've got one LFS that pays me cash for endlers, all be it reluctantly (he caves when he sees how good they look, lol) I'll try your idea about half and half :thanks:

That first spawn is looking real good. The yellow is showing up on the crowns of the SSB's. I'm dying to see if I get any silver clowns from that koi X zebra cross as the punnett square predicts. I'm really looking forward to the spring and things being in full swing.

Thanks Andy. I've got one LFS that pays me cash for endlers, all be it reluctantly (he caves when he sees how good they look, lol) I'll try your idea about half and half :thanks:

That first spawn is looking real good. The yellow is showing up on the crowns of the SSB's. I'm dying to see if I get any silver clowns from that koi X zebra cross as the punnett square predicts. I'm really looking forward to the spring and things being in full swing.

No store ever really WANTS to pay cash but when the fish look and sell too good, you are in control not them. ;) ( Just don;t let them know you know that. :brows: ) The split pay shows ( or should show) the store owner that you are willing to work with them. If they get too big for their britches tho, you take your show on the road and go to another store and THAT you let them know. (y)

No store ever really WANTS to pay cash but when the fish look and sell too good, you are in control not them. ;) ( Just don;t let them know you know that. :brows: ) The split pay shows ( or should show) the store owner that you are willing to work with them. If they get too big for their britches tho, you take your show on the road and go to another store and THAT you let them know. (y)

(y) got that loud and clear, lol. Not to toot my horn but the fish I have are head and shoulders above the local ones. Heck there's only one box store in my area (6 around me) that even has Angels.

Back
Top Bottom