Babies?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Eeeek! I think she is probably gonna pop soon! Im totally unprepared.... chances are the babies are gonna get eaten or sucked up the filter... is there anything I can McGyver to make sure a couple fry survive???

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 007_crop.jpg
    007_crop.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 006_crop.jpg
    006_crop.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 89
Eeeek! I think she is probably gonna pop soon! Im totally unprepared.... chances are the babies are gonna get eaten or sucked up the filter... is there anything I can McGyver to make sure a couple fry survive???
A large net will be the only immediate thing you can do. Just make sure it will not be possible for babies to get through the holes in the net. To get an idea of how small newborn fry are, check this picture out: By the way, the moms in this picture are only an inch long or so...

The fry may even be smaller than this at birth.

Attachments

• AquariumAdviceFrySize.jpg
    AquariumAdviceFrySize.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 88
Put her in a big net, and wait. Check on her as often as you can. when she gives birth, take her out of the net immediately. Leave the babies. The babies can be fed flakes that are crushed really well.

phoenixkiller said:
Put her in a big net, and wait. Check on her as often as you can. when she gives birth, take her out of the net immediately. Leave the babies. The babies can be fed flakes that are crushed really well.

Thank you! I'm gonna check on a net today... Do the babies just live in the net? Sorry I'm new to guppies :)

I would say she has a week but every guppy is different. IMO I say let the female give birth in the tank. Just throw in some fake plants then scoop out the fry into a breeder net (the plants dont have to be live plants from the pet store. I use some fake plants I got from a thirft store for cheap.)

Putting the female in a breeder box can stress her out and kill her and the fry.

If you would like to see pics I have a thread called "guppy breeding log" it has photos tips and so much more.

Thanks for the feedback! Picked up the net today and when I went to install it found a big hole at the bottom :( Repaired it instead of took it back becuase I found a BABY!!! Just one lil ol' baby :) But she is still very fat and there was only one.... Can she really only have one baby and hold the rest??? So crazy!

Cornstar said:
I also recommend a pre-filter so that the babies would not be sucked into the filter.

That is what I'm scared of! I checked the filter when I got home it was baby free thankfully!

4-24 very small meals a day. Crush up some flakes to a powder. The amount of food for the first 2 weeks is very small. Like a grain of rice. Many people over feed.

4-24 very small meals a day. Crush up some flakes to a powder. The amount of food for the first 2 weeks is very small. Like a grain of rice. Many people over feed.
Oh wow, thank you! I gave em a pinch last night... didnt know how much to give em! Thanks again!

Guppy fry unload there stomachs every 20min. If you are thinking about breeding for a few month I would say get some live food. Micro worms are very cheap to culture. I got a starter kit for $3.

Andrews how are your babies?????

They are GREAT!! They are still very small, about the size of a small ant!! But they are moving around a bit! They are swimming a little about an inch or 2 off the gravel. Mommy and Daddy are very protective, if they go to far they will bring em back. As the day has gone on, it is harder and harder for mommy and daddy to keep them in one are of the tank... I am wondering if they will give up and let them adverture out or what? I have SO many questions about them, and so many concerns but I have to let nature run its course. I am sure Mommy and Daddy know what they are doing. Its about 200 babies (my guess).

Back
Top Bottom