babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j.gurn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to everybody at AA. This is my first time posting and also my first tank. I bought a 10-gallon tank setup at Wal-Mart this weekend, set it up and ran it for about a day and a half. Two days ago I purchased two mollies (male and female) from Wal-Mart to cycle the tank. The female was fat and my wife informed me this morning that she was releasing her babies. I ended up going out ad getting a net to place them in and by the time I got back I ended up with about five live ones.

So my question is what are the chances of the little ones surviving in a new tank that has not cycled yet? I will do a 20% water changes every other day. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Justin

[center:a6ad900257] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, j.gurn!! :n00b: [/center:a6ad900257]

Mollies prefer salt in the water. Add some aquarium salt and keep up with the PWC and the little ones shoudl do fine. That tank will take forever to cycle though :? Do you know anyone with an established tank?

I had a problem like this, I bought a tank and stocked it not realizing the necessity of cycling. I put in 4 mollies, 4 guppies and a cory cat into a 10 gallon. I did 50 percent water changes 2-3 times in the first 2 weeks, and got I'd say about 3 tablespoons of rocks from my sisters aquarium to help cycle the tank. I also bought a bottle of "cycle". A month later, and only 2-3 50% water changes later, none of my fish have died, my tank is cycled and perfectly clear, and everything is perfect. I also had a baby for a while from the fish store that I got for free, but, I think I put him into the big tank too soon because he disappeared shortly afterwards. Just watch your tank and your fish, change the water often, and try to get some rocks from an extablished aquarium to help the cycling.

Thank you for your replies. I have added salt from the beginning and I do not know anybody with a cycled tank so I will just cross my fingers.

thanks again
Justin

I would suggest frequent water changes then, definately do that. Don't change all the water though, just 25-50% depending on if you change your water every other day or every few days (while the thank is cycling). You can try to buy a product like biospira or cycle like I did. I'm not sure if it helped or not, something did though and it definately didn't hurt.

Regen311 said:
I would suggest frequent water changes then, definately do that. Don't change all the water though, just 25-50% depending on if you change your water every other day or every few days (while the thank is cycling). You can try to buy a product like biospira or cycle like I did. I'm not sure if it helped or not, something did though and it definately didn't hurt.
My tank cycled in about 3 weeks with 2 danios. I did 20-30% pwc every 2-3 days and the ammonia levels were always around 1-1.25 ppm for a couple weeks and then tapered off to 0 over a couple days.

They could survive. Just some advice, NEVER get fish from walmart again. Always try to get them from a Local Fish or Pet Store. Wal*Mart Usually keeps their tanks realy dirty all I've had is hell from that place.

Back
Top Bottom