Baby betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexi420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Shoot. I fell for the baby betta again. Went to Petco to get my sister a Molly and ended up with two fish. My other betta (who I bought as a baby) is a very healthy female who's about 5 months old. :)

This little guy was the smallest one of em all. He's approx half an inch (maybe closer to an inch.) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408172341.751465.jpg

He's in a 1/4 gallon until Wednesday when I can go buy rocks for my 1 gallon. And when he gets big enough, he'll be transferred to a 10 gal with some cories.

The micro pellets are a little too big for him so I crush em and he eats them just fine. He was just resting on the bottom in the store but since he was transferred to clean water, he's swimming just fine.

He's the cutest thing. (if he even is a male.)

Can anybody tell me for sure how old he is?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408172069.656540.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408172197.094586.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. The lighting is bad. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408172260.424672.jpg

You really can't age a Betta by size. It could have been in a tank with it's brother's and sisters and subject to the growth inhibiting hormone that Bettas give off to prevent the others from growing. That fish could be 1 month old or 8 months old, you just can't tell. (This is why we Betta breeders need to separate the males out as soon as they show signs of their gender.)If you are trying to breed the fish, you just need to wait until the first egg appears if it's a female or if a male, when he starts building a serious breeding nest.

Hope this helps.

Thank you :) not trying to breed buying might consider it as I see his growth. My female betta is a giant and queen of her tank ?. She's

And her size does not necessarily mean she's old either ;) It's just the nature of things these days since we rarely are talking about wild fish anymore.
I'm still tossed as to whether this genetic "soup" these fish have is a good thing or a bad thing. When I see offspring that have no physical characteristics of their parents, it makes you wonder just what IS inside them?
So for now, just enjoy your fish for what they are instead of what they might be. ;)

(y)

Back
Top Bottom