Baby BN Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clare

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, there....need some advice please.

My albino long fin BN plecos (male has red eyes and female has blue eyes) have bred in my 40G planted tank. I discovered the babies about 5 days ago in a deep crevice of a large chunk of mopani wood. They seem very healthy and dad is guarding them, though some are now venturing out among the plants and eating the algae on the glass.

I would like to move all of them to my 10G grow out tank - which is all water & filter media from the tank they are in - fortunate for them. Just did water tests on both today and parameters are the same as is the temp within two degrees. I moved a rock and anubias with algae growing on it from the existing tank to the grow out tank.

I have caught 7-8 of the babies and put them in the grow out tank, just to see how they do. They all range in size from 1/4 to a little less than 1/2 inch. They do not seem very interested in any of the algae wafers or blanched zucchini yet. Mostly they are staying on the glass sides of the tank.

Never having raised anything but guppies, I would be totally appreciative of any advice. Don't know what I will do with them all - there seems to be around 30 right now - but don't want to kill them.

Thanks tons!
Clare

I'd leave them in the 40 at least until they reach 1" before moving them, smaller ones seem to have a higher mortality rate if moved to a different tank IME. I breed/raise BN all the time, their staple diet is NLS Grow pellets with spirulina flake or canned green beans for variety.

Thanks to you both for replying - I will leave them in the 40 until they are an inch long or so. How old are they now do your think?

Since I don't want to add more stress than I already have, I am leaving the ones I have already moved & watch them carefully.....this AM they seemed to be a little interested in the dissolved pleco chip I put in their last night, but no go on the zucchini again. The ones in the 40 are still hanging with dad but making forays out to the glass and plants.

These babies are too cool for school!

i have one question,do they have purple eyes?

congrats on the baby plecs

LMAO - thanks for the chuckle!

Trying to download some now - they are very small!

Here are some pics - kinda fuzzy but you can tell what they are I think LOL
Dad is protecting them :)

Thanks - he has some super long whiskers LOL

There are none bigger than 1/2 inch - teenie tiny and not yet seeming interested in any food I have tried. I guess they'll eat when they are hungry. I counted about 35 between the 40G and the 10G....

Thanks everybody - I am so excited about this "accident" LOL

Cannot wait til they grow out and I can put some in my 115G either......

Baby bristlenose are just too cute! It sounds like you might have a mixture of babies from more than one spawn. They are quite prolific once they start spawning. They will also eat sweet potato and flake food. Just be sure you do frequent water changes if you are feeding them heavily. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, Pam
I have been trying to keep the]40G - where most of them are - at regular 15% water changes....the 10G grow out tank - where about 8 of them are - I am doing a regular water change every 2 days and in the AMs I am using a turkey baster and siphoning out the old pleco wafer remnants. Is this adequate to ensure their survival? I also added mopani wood and anubias with algae on it to the grow out tank. Everything in this tank is from the 40G. Figured that was safest. Can't wait to shwo you all more pics :) They are still so teensie but dad is no longer guarding them - he seems to have turned his attention back to mom - hopefully they will wait a bit LOL
More soon.....

Back
Top Bottom