baby crayfish care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pretty sure I've answered this more than once.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i just want to know all i can, can i use crushed flake food that i just drop in there cave? and is it safe to use power filters with them?

Yes they'll eat the flakes if you crush them up...and I would highly suggest looking into sponge filters, I fitted my marmokreb tank with 4 of them so there's no risk of them being sucked up.

I wrote this up for someone else

You will have the best results in a cycled tank, that's Ammonia free!*

The best breeding temperature for Marbled Crayfish is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. *

Marbled Crayfish are omnivores so live plants are great snacks to keep in the tank, mine really like good quality shrimp pellets too that can be purchased at any local fish store for about $3.

A 25-50% water change should be done weekly or biweekly to prevent the build up of ammonia from the crayfish waste and non eaten rotting food.

Sponge Filters should be in place, not regular filters as their intake could possibly suck up baby crayfish, sponge filters are very cheap and efficient and powered by an external air pump that is also inexpensive, a air pump with dual outputs is recommended for an air stone in the tank to oxygenate the water to keep your crayfish happy and healthy, crayfish will drown in stillwater over a foot high in 3-6 hours, so make sure between the filters you have movement, a $1 air stone and pump will prevent this from happening.

CRAYFISH ARE ESCAPE ARTISTS. They will climb and swim up to equipment and cords at the tip of the tank. Unless you want wild crayfish running around your house, they can survive out of water for as long as their gills remain damp, you need a lid! I've never personally had an escape but the Internet Is filled with crayfish escape horror storys.

These are my favorite aquarium animal and rapid breeders, they will breed around 5-7 months.*

Rapid breeding Cloning Crayfish

so i accedently blew almost all my hatched babies all over the tank during my water change.:facepalm: will they be ok, what should i do to car for the strays just but fine food in the water?

Once they hatch they take care of themselves. Just provide plenty of hiding spots. Also, blanched green peas are one of their favorite foods and don't mess up the water as fast. If you have fish in the tank they will clean up left over food. If you observe, crayfish are tasting their environment nonstop. They eat biofilm and anything else they come across.

so i don't have to give them a lot of food? can i put a stocking over the power filter intake so they don't get sucked up?

sorry if i am being such a nuance but this is my first batch so i want to do it right and not wait another month, how long does it take for her to hatch all the eggs its been going on for like 48 hr and she still has like 90% of her eggs

A stocking will work just keep an eye it doesn't get coveted in muck so you don't burn uo your filters motor, the hatchling will be okay if there's hiding places and no predators. I feed mine fine foods because of how many there are.

If you move 2 or 3 to an established aquarium they may thrive and get to 2 inches in 8 weeks like mine haha.

is there anything else i should know, can i remove the babies from there cave, will the mother ever leave her cave?

After she gives birth she'll protect them under her tail foe a couple weeks then eventually they'll all come out

Back
Top Bottom