baby fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dojrb1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We've had our tank only a little while and put fish in only last week (platies). Yesterday we found they had had babies! We have caught the fry that were left 9only 3) and put them in a small netted enclosure in the tank, but how can i ensure it won't get too hot, or that there is enough water flow? Is there anything i can do to encourage their survival??

How big is the tank? And exactly how long has the tank been up and running?

If your tank will allow, you can get a breeder net that hangs over your tank and put them in there. This will allow for you to monitor there growth, feedings and keep them from getting eaten.

If I were you, I would get a small tank for them. Something like a 5.5g or 10g tank will do. But the problem is that you need a heater and a sponge filter to go with that. This way they have a better chance of living.

Ideally, the best way to keep all your fry is to scoop them up after birth and put them in a 10 gallon grow out tank.

I've been fortunate and have been able to see most of my births and have been ready with net in hand to rescue them.

I've got so many now that I don't know what to do with them. It's been over a year since I've bought any livebearers.

Back
Top Bottom