Baby Labs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Both of my holding females have dropped their fry, and I'd like to pull as many as I can out of the tank before they turn into food. Netting them just won't work- I have way too many places for them to hide. Does anyone know how to trap the buggers? And, what I should use as bait?

Thanks!

-J

Gravel vac'm. Just suck'm up into the gravel vac and have a clean bucket ready at the other end to recieve them.

My way could be wrong, tho.. :\

I tried that, but the minute they see me coming, they head for the hills. If there is some way that I could convince them to wander into a pop bottle, that would be awesome, but I don't know how to keep them in once they're in there.

-J

You could try using a clear drinking glass or clear vase in the water. I got a large, plain vase from AC Moore (an arts and crafts store) for this technique. Chase them with a net or your hand, and when they swim into the glass cap it with your net or your hand, pull out the vase, and dump them into a bucket. They will be able to sense the glass, but won't be able to see it. I use this technique for catching all my small fish.

I'll have to give that a try. I don't think I'll be able to chase them into the glass- they stay really close to the rocks, and shoot back in when they see me. Can anyone reccommend something that would make good bait for baby labs?

Also, next time one of my females is holding, and I can somehow manage to isolate her, what is the minimum size fry trap I could put her in, to try to save as many fry as possible. She'd prolly be in there for about 2 weeks.

Thanks!

-J

In the midst of all of these suggestions....let me just say Congratulations on your recent additions!!! :D

On the off chance that my fish will not swim directly into the net (they're quite curious/stupid, except for my barb, and my old CAE), I catch them pretty much the same way shawmutt does.

I leave an old betta hex in the tank, chase the fish with my net right into the betta hex. Works like a charm!

i know this is a stupid question, but are yellow labs cichlids?? i've been trying to figure it out without asking anyone at the store =]

There is no stupid question except for the one that goes unasked. Yes...yellow labs (at least the fish variety) are African Rift Lake cichlids of the genus Labidochromis, I believe.

I'm getting a handful for my tank. They are the fish that got me excited about cichlids. My friend had some in a community tank a while back. They were really pretty and interesting fish.

Well, I tried using a tiny erlenmeyer flask with some food in the bottom to try to trap them. The rest of the fish in the tank got so excited trying to get to the food in the flasks, that they scared the fry back into their hiding places :p Maybe I'll try again during feeding time.

Thanks for all the advice!

-J

Back
Top Bottom