baby platties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
The last 3 weeks I've cleaned my tank there are what I suspect platty babies in the bucket of water I pulled out of the tank. These babies are as big as an eyelash and I have to look in the bucket very close to see them. I have been taking a small glass and scooping them out, and putting them into a small tank I set up for them.

Problem is I'm spending hours trying to get the babies out of the bucket, some I've just had to toss, I couldn't get them out. I tried a net, but the fish are so small they go right through the holes in the net.

I probably should have noticed my platty was pregnant, as the male fish has been chasing her all over the place (poor thing).

Any help would be appreciated.
gail

The last 3 weeks I've cleaned my tank there are what I suspect platty babies in the bucket of water I pulled out of the tank. These babies are as big as an eyelash and I have to look in the bucket very close to see them. I have been taking a small glass and scooping them out, and putting them into a small tank I set up for them.

Problem is I'm spending hours trying to get the babies out of the bucket, some I've just had to toss, I couldn't get them out. I tried a net, but the fish are so small they go right through the holes in the net.

I probably should have noticed my platty was pregnant, as the male fish has been chasing her all over the place (poor thing).

gail

How are you emptying your tank? I ask as I use the gravel vacuum and have never sucked a baby up. Do you wish to save/keep them? Probably, for future reference, keep an eye on your mama platy and move her into the smaller tank so she births in there. That, or change the way you clean your tank - though I'm not sure what to suggest!

I use a gravel vacuum, and suck up 3-4 babies when I clean my tank.

If I didn't have a snail problem right now I'd just toss the water directly into the smaller tank I have set up for them.

Your Platties

gail

Hello Gail...

Cover your tank vacuum with a piece of ladies' nylon hose and secure it with a rubber band. You don't need to vacuum the gravel, just draw the tank water into a bucket, reverse the process and fill the tank. Everything in the tank will eventually dissolve in the water. Just remove a good amount of the old tank water every week or so and replace it. The water chemistry will always be stable and the fish and plants will be healthy.

B

Back
Top Bottom