back neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi i think one if my black neons is full of eggs !! Only had livebearers and corys babies so not sure what to do ... It looks much fatter and lumpy around the belly and its silver stripe has changed to a pale blue.. any ideas would be very appreciated

You don't have to do anything. If your fish is gravid ( full of eggs) and there are no males to breed with, they eventually will reabsorb the eggs or just carry them. You don't HAVE to breed them just because they are gravid. Fish can go an entire lifetime without breeding.
Now, if you do want to breed them, feel free to PM me and I will tell you how I used to breed them. Fair warning, this requires 3 tanks so if you are not prepared for multiple tanks, please consider not breeding them.

Thank you , I'm not wanting to breed them, I'm trying to down size from 4 tanks to 2 .... And I say I'm trying ;) as long as she's going to be ok that's the main thing :)

Again thanks for the reply

Suzanne .

Do you know how long she will carry the eggs for ? She looks like she's going to explode :( poor girl

Do you know how long she will carry the eggs for ? She looks like she's going to explode :( poor girl

While they do get big when gravid, make sure the fish is still defecating or her condition may be bloat or she could be eggbound and have an internal infection ( Both rare occurances in Tetras.) Fish that do not breed will eventually reabsorb the eggs or just not let them develop to a point that they could be fertilized so they will carry the eggs for their entire lives. It should not be a health risk to not spawn however.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom