Ballon rams breeding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alison73

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, does any one have any experience with these lil guys? I have 2 yellow balloon rams (hopefully 1 of each), and i noticed some unusual behaviour today!! could this be a mating ritual? they were swimming side by side( top and tail), not aggressively, flicking against each other, one of the guys belly turned an electric blue colour. Is this a courting dance or something??

It's more than likely a sparring between two males. Most balloon rams shipped from the far east are males. Sometimes they send what look like females. In most cases these all prove to be sterile anyway. Although, I have heard from one friend that he managed to hatch some. Balloon rams are a mutation that is either instigated or natural, I vote for instigated. More than likely it is brought about by crossing two different types of mutated ramirezi. All of my sources who visit the farms where they are produced have not been privy to the process. I personally think the natural ram is much nicer. If you have a female her belly would become rosy colored or pink as she became ripe with eggs. Bill

Let me offer this as well. I had this in my favorites folder. This guy breeds what he calls balloon rams, his fish are no where near as balloon shaped as what we see here in Florida but his info might help. I see you are in England so you might be getting the same fish as him.

Here is the link, Balloon Ram by YuTaKa Loo

Back
Top Bottom