Barb's Angelfish Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The piece by the mouth is some of what is on her fins with little black Dots on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sorry but my screen just doesn't come in clear enough to identify what that is. I can not suggest strongly enough the need to have a good disease book in your home library so you can look these things up yourself and not rely on the internet. Case in point, I have my laptop connected to a larger monitor and the 2 screens don't show the same coloration or clarity. So something white might actually be grey and the white would be one thing and the grey another. That's a recipe for a dead fish from misdiagnosis. :facepalm:

I highly recommend the following book: https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Fis...&qid=1474079272&sr=1-4&keywords=Fish+diseases

It's not a lot of money and if it saves 1 expensive fish, it's more than paid for itself. (y)

Thank you So much for the info on the book. I will be ordering that now. Yes I understand that the marbles smokeys and golds are the most common on the market. My comment was to only state that the stock they are carrying now is better than I've seen in the past at my local stores. I will take a look at the albums you have when I get on my computer today.

Sorry but my screen just doesn't come in clear enough to identify what that is. I can not suggest strongly enough the need to have a good disease book in your home library so you can look these things up yourself and not rely on the internet. Case in point, I have my laptop connected to a larger monitor and the 2 screens don't show the same coloration or clarity. So something white might actually be grey and the white would be one thing and the grey another. That's a recipe for a dead fish from misdiagnosis. :facepalm:

I highly recommend the following book: https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Fis...&qid=1474079272&sr=1-4&keywords=Fish+diseases

It's not a lot of money and if it saves 1 expensive fish, it's more than paid for itself. (y)

It's actually kind of pinkish in color and has little black dots in it. I did order the book you recommended. I will look it up when it gets here.

I'm still waiting on the book that Andy recommended. I lost my male smokey a couple of days ago so now my pearlscale female doesn't have a mate. On a brighter note I ordered some new angels should get them next week. Will take pictures when i get them.

I couldn't get a close up of them that didn't come out blurry. I did some research on them and figured out that they are springtails. I'm not sure where they came from or how they ended up in my aquarium. I see some tiny ones jumping around on the surface of the water as well. They are just a nuisances from what I read.

I have a bit of a mystery. I've lost two spawns now and I have no idea why. The last two spawns that I have moved into the 5.5 gallon all died within two days of being in there. I did a water test and found that the ammonia spiked up to .50 but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I did a water change the day before I moved them into the tank. The only thing different that I have done is I refilled my water conditioner jug. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening here?

I have a bit of a mystery. I've lost two spawns now and I have no idea why. The last two spawns that I have moved into the 5.5 gallon all died within two days of being in there. I did a water test and found that the ammonia spiked up to .50 but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I did a water change the day before I moved them into the tank. The only thing different that I have done is I refilled my water conditioner jug. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening here?

Were these eggs or free swimming fry?

Then most likely, they didn't adjust to the new water OR the "normal" die off polluted the water and killed off the others. 5 gal tanks are not really good for any decent sized Angel spawns. There's just too many fry. I'm currently having issues with needing to split single spawns into 2 and 3 ten gal tanks due to the numbers of fry in the spawn. :eek: So anything more than 10 or 12 newly swimming fry in a 5 is just too much (IMO).

Other possibilities to look for would be the filtering system you are using. Uncycled sponge filter may not have been handle the load fast enough. Overcycled(?) Sponge filter: Sponge filters need to be wrung out every so often to ensure that there can be water circulation through it. Just because it's bubbling does not mean it's working. :whistle:
Overfeeding: too much food in not enough water causing ammonia spikes which rapidly kill off fry.
Temperature shock: Did you make sure the new water was the same temp as the old water?
Did you use new water or did you move the water over fro your hatching tank? Test the water in the hatching tank before you move the fry over in it. Sometimes that water goes bad due to the bacteria from the egg shells deteriorating so you would need to acclimate the fish out of that water and into new water which would then be used i your first grow out tank ( not something as small as a 5 ;) ).

Welcome to fish breeding. ;) It's as much a fun endeavor as it is a Pain in the *** :eek: ;) (y)

Thanks Andy for your thoughts on this. The 5.5 gallon was only meant to be temporary until I could set up a 10 gallon and get It cycled. I am actually setting up that10 gallon today. I also have a new standard 20 gallon that I am getting ready to set up as well. I am running out of room and don't have enough tanks to handle the fry. Since the last two spawns were the biggest I've had I think It may have been a combination of over feeding and a clogged sponge and the tank size. I may be in over my head here ? but we will see how things play out with the two new setups.

Just an FYI: I take brand new ( figurative speaking) empty tanks and fill it with water for my fry. No cycling necessary just let the water circulate overnight. I put the fry in with a cycled sponge filter and the tank is cycled because of the sponge. The bacteria bed will grow quickly as long as it was established so there is no need to wait for a tank to cycle before using it. Keep it bare bottom so you can easily remove any uneaten food and do quick water changes and keep an eye on the water chemistry. Anything more than this is unnecessary (and wasted energy.) The fish will do better in a bare bottom tank than a decorated one. Decorated tanks are for what you are keeping to grow up for yourself. The fish don't need them. :nono:

As for not enough tanks or room for them, if you remember, back in the "Wigglers at last!!!" thread I repeated posted how breeding Angelfish requires a lot of room and tanks. This is tried and true and nobody has been able to do it without them both. They just produce too many fry. I strongly suggest that if you don't have the room, you will be better off not keeping the spawns but maybe a small part of a single spawn to keep as replacements for when your fish do eventually die. There's nothing wrong with that. ( in my eyes. ;) ) To me, it's worse to keep killing the fry from "lakaspace" :whistle:

Thank you Andy for all your wisdom ?. Once I get my 125 set up for my saltwater stuff I will then convert my 40 gallon and maybe my 29 gallon tanks back to freshwater. That will help me out for tank space. I would like to get my babies to quarter size before I sell them. Would the 40 gallon be big enough for them to grow out to quarter size?

Thank you Andy for all your wisdom ?. Once I get my 125 set up for my saltwater stuff I will then convert my 40 gallon and maybe my 29 gallon tanks back to freshwater. That will help me out for tank space. I would like to get my babies to quarter size before I sell them. Would the 40 gallon be big enough for them to grow out to quarter size?

Depends on how many you put in it. 25-30 should be quarter size in 4-6 months. 100+? No. Chances are the fish will suffer from overcrowding faster than growing. When I was forced to put too many fish in my 30 breeders, even with the tank being a flow thru tank, the fish just ate each other up and their fins burnt off. That's what overcrowding does.

Just a little update. I haven't posted in a while. I found a lfs that is going to take a dozen of my angels from me. No more eggs are being laid right now and I'm glad because I don't have any more room for them.

Hli there, I haven't updated this thread in a while. Ive been busy setting up my 125 gal reef tank. Anyways I did a watee change yesterday and noticed my angels are all at the top of the water. There is plenty if oxygen going into the tank. I did everything I always do and I can't figure out what happened. I thought maybe somehow there is ammonia poisening (not sure how this would have happened though) sobibdud another pwc today and they are still hanging around the top of the tank. All t hg e other fish in the tank are fine. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening?

Hli there, I haven't updated this thread in a while. Ive been busy setting up my 125 gal reef tank. Anyways I did a watee change yesterday and noticed my angels are all at the top of the water. There is plenty if oxygen going into the tank. I did everything I always do and I can't figure out what happened. I thought maybe somehow there is ammonia poisening (not sure how this would have happened though) sobibdud another pwc today and they are still hanging around the top of the tank. All t hg e other fish in the tank are fine. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening?
Not sure, have had that problem before, but since i started doing 2 wc a week they stopped and two of mine unexpectedly paired up and laid eggs, i created a thread under breeding. My first success at eggs and believe they are fertilized as well, any advice would help greatly

Back
Top Bottom