Best Fry Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Whats a good starter food for fry? I have some fry in a breeder box w some crushed up NLS but is there anything else out there recommended for babies? Thanks.

Hello,

Whats a good starter food for fry? I have some fry in a breeder box w some crushed up NLS but is there anything else out there recommended for babies? Thanks.

Baby brine shrimp are popular...
My baby fish like "first bites" I think hikari makes that... My fish go crazy for that stuff

definitely the brine shrimp even if you have left over they are good food for any fish. they do help with the growth and coloration of all fish. They are probably the best source and easiest to harvest.
However it is possible to feed yellow lab babies crushed high quality flake food but this could stunt growth and coloration.

At Pet Smart you should be able to find first bites which is a product made by Hikari.
However I am not sure If you would be able to find brine shrimp eggs.
ask an employee if they have fry food and they should lead you to it.

You might consider microworms or walter worms. Pet stores rarely have this though. They are easily obtained from other hobbyists and culture isn't hard. Live food is by far the best food for fry if at all possible. Frozen foods are next best.

The worms are very, very tiny. They need only some damp oatmeal to live on and bakers yeast to eat, and are quite easy to keep. Older cultures do have some odour, like sourdough, but only when you take off the lid. Not gross or anything, unless you are the type who finds little squiggly things gross.

They have a lot of fat, which is the most important element for fry growth and development. This is not to say other nutrients aren't important, but fats are the most critical for early development, and microworms. They make a very welcome treat for even quite large fish too.

They have the advantage that they live at least four days in water, so if you feed too much, the babies can pick them off the bottom, as can any other fishes if they're willing to do that. The worms just wriggle on the bottom, and so there are few worries about them fouling water. I feed them to fry in a fry box, bare bottom, where fry can grab them easily. Saves having to feed them multiple times per day.

Back
Top Bottom